ST8 and Hexagons

Hi

With the new ST8 about to be launched can anyone tell me if the hexagon tool has been improved so as the across flats dimension is used and also that the an axial align mate can be applied to its centre point? Sheet metal work for hexsert cutouts is very painful currently.

This is all I need to make me 50% more efficient Smiley Wink

G

16 REPLIES

Re: ST8 and Hexagons

[ Edited ]

I did start asking for a feature like this for almost 5 years now.

Last year I have also filled an ER, but is not reviewed yet.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Sheet-Metal/Inserts-with-hexagonal-body-ho...

Have a look at this topic and feel free to add your voice and jump on the ER1983205

Yeah, there are two options called "by vertex" and "by midpoint". I've always called them circumscribed and inscribed circle, but you can also see it as across the flats or across the points.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

The new option "by midpoint" helps a wee bit, what it would really improve the life of a sheetmetal guy is the ability to natively have "hexagonal holes", the benefit would be to have Axis and pattern at no cost.

See the topic I liked in my previous post.

YEP this would be a huge improvement to sheet metal life to treat them like holes. 

-Dylan Gondyke

[ Edited ]

Chally72 wrote:

YEP this would be a huge improvement to sheet metal life to treat them like holes. 

AMEN to that one!

Custom hole shapes [Polygons, Elipses, etc], within the hole command, would be trick!!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Great suggestion @SeanCresswell.

Here's another similar post about a standard shapes library that has come up today seeking similar feature and this comes from a new user. No doubt old timers necessarily feel the need too.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

As a work-around, draw the hexagon profile as a seperate sketch, not as part of the feature.

When in an assembly you can then display the sketch and pick up the axis of the circle for placing a locked axial constraint.

This is similar to how I always did slots (before we had the slot feature) - create a sketch and put a point at the centre to use as an axis.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomberwe currently apply a sketch to the cutout to apply the axial align mate to but this is a laborious task to do when you have many hex cutouts to do hence asking for an easier solution. Plus hexs' being a hole feature would enable us to pattern to these features instead of having to apply more sketches etc.

"There is a feature library, so you can create your own" has always been the default answer to this. The issue is, the use of holes/patterning has improved by leaps and bounds over the years, and now the feature library has lost most of its polish when you think about what you could do with user-defined hole shapes that also allow use of hole-specific commands.

-Dylan Gondyke