Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ST8 and Hexagons

Phenom
Phenom

Redcad,

Yes, I do agree its a pain having to display sketches, and sometimes you have to open and close the part to get them to display.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

....PLUS, when detailing these in draft, hole tables don't work on polygon cutouts.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP6] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

Auto-creation of hole tables for polygonal or custom-defined hole shapes.... that is something I DREAM about, as a sheet metal guy!

-Dylan Gondyke

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If creation of a table in Solid Edge Draft for custom shaped holes or cutouts is a common required across the sheetmetal industry I can think of making a program for this.

I have even thought of how it would work - something like the new pattern recognition for non-hole features in ST8. What goes in the other columns of the table will follow.

The only problem would be updating - with the program working entirely in Draft I cannot think of a way at this moment on how the table would look at the custom shaped holes in the Drawing view so that it updates automatically.

This is a good candidate for a new macro. Will wait for the response since the efforts wold eb enormous. Hmmm... too much too early, wish I was part of the development team... Robot Sad

~Tushar

Phenom
Phenom

That does sound like a massive amount of work, Tushar. I think it's something we should submit an ER for and all add on to it. Plus, it wouldn't help the design side of life, where we would still want to control custom hole rotation, custom hole patterns, etc... all work that still has to be done manually with the help of overlay sketches. Smiley Sad

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

These sort of issues are why I never get excited about new SE releases these days Smiley Sad

When the hex cutout was introduced a few years back I was looking forward to using it but it appears to have been a quick intro that hadn't been thought through properly. The circle should have been made tangental to the inside faces of the hex so one dimension for the across flats can be applied and then a hor/vert relationship to set orientation. What we have is a hex shape connected to the circle via the hex points. When you apply the a/f dimension it can shoot off in all directions, double the width of the hex shape and rotate the hex etc.

These, to me, are little things that make the heavy users day to day experience much better.

ST9 maybe....

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Fiorini wrote:

I did start asking for a feature like this for almost 5 years now.

Last year I have also filled an ER, but is not reviewed yet.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Sheet-Metal/Inserts-with-hexagonal-body-ho...

Have a look at this topic and feel free to add your voice and jump on the ER1983205

I found another ER of mine ER1693067 - ER:hexagonal hole in the "hole" tool

Ther ER is closed as IM in V106 but this is not true.

Why thiss happens ?