ST8 and ST9 install on same PC.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I have ST8 on the pc now and want to install ST9 for testing, before installing it on the other pc's.

What is the best way to do this?

Regards 

12 REPLIES

Re: ST8 and ST9 install on same PC.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @RDM

See this recent discussion which has a solution as well from @Fiorini.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

Experimenter
Experimenter

So Iv'e just install ST9 and use the same licens file.

I can see that I have to put this command line in

msiexec /i "J:\Solid Edge\Solid Edge ST9.msi" MYTEMPLATE=4 USERNAME="Fiorini" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST9" /qn+ /l*v "C:\temp\mysilentsetup.log"

Where?

Then both versions (ST8 and ST9) will work?

Phenom
Phenom

If you already have installed both versions, the next step, I think, is to use the SESetActiveVersion utility to set one of the Solid Edges as the active one.

I have not used this before but only read it somewhere on this forum.

See this article from Swoosh Tech which gives a detailed description with an older pair of Solid Edge installations:

https://swooshtech.com/solid-edge-how-to-install-multiple-versions-of-solid-edge/

Perhaps this applies to the latest versions ST8 and ST9 as well.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've tried to install ST9, it gave me a error (See picturer).

I can't install two versions on same workstationen.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What command line did you end up using to install with and do all of the paths you specified exist already on your machine?

If you specify "/qn+ /l*v "C:\temp\mysilentsetup.log"" for the log file location then the C:\temp folder must already exist first.

Phenom
Phenom

RDM wrote:

I've tried to install ST9, it gave me a error (See picturer).

I can't install two versions on same workstationen.

It seem you have started the standard setup that doesn't allow mult install.

To do a multi install you have to use the command as stated before.

To use it you need to copy paste it in a cmd shell.

Experimenter
Experimenter

This line in cmd (with my drive and name)? 

msiexec /i "J:\Solid Edge\Solid Edge ST9.msi" MYTEMPLATE=4 USERNAME="Fiorini" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST9" /qn+ /l*v "C:\temp\mysilentsetup.log" ?

Phenom
Phenom

RDM wrote:

This line in cmd (with my drive and name)? 

msiexec /i "J:\Solid Edge\Solid Edge ST9.msi" MYTEMPLATE=4 USERNAME="Fiorini" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST9" /qn+ /l*v "C:\temp\mysilentsetup.log" ?

Yes, change the "J:" drive to the path where you have extracted the ST9 setup, run it in a command shell and wait. You can have a look at the log to see what's happening.

When done you will be prompted.

enjoy

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What am I doing wrong?  I copied the info from the  CD to  network path and I couldn't get that to work so then I changed the path back to the DVD and it will not install.  I get it to create the temp file, but that's it.  I tried to create the "install" folder ST9 ahead of time and still nothing.  (I attached the silentsetup.log.)

msiexec /i "D:\Solid Edge ST9.msi" MYTEMPLATE=4 USERFILESPECXML="\\seats-na-cifs\Templates\ST9\Options.xml" USERFILESPEC="\\seats-na-cifs\Special Programs-Add-ons\SOLID EDGE UPDATES\ST9\SELicense.dat" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST9\" /qn+ /l*v "C:\temp\mysilentsetup2.log"