ST8 and windows 10. Any users?

Just upgraded a laptop to Windows 10 to do some testing with ST8. Anyone using this setup and care to comment?

Thanks,

Leonard

14 REPLIES

Re: ST8 and windows 10. Any users?

[ Edited ]

Hi Leonard,

I've been using it for some time now, there were a couple of minor gremlins early on, but have all been resolved, both in the OS itself, and with how SE sits within it.

It took a little while to figure things [navigation wise - search tool was valuable here] out, even coming from Windows 8....but as I've rolled out Windows 10 updates on our [small] teams computers, there has been very little upset.

See this blog post also... https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Solid-Edge-and-Windows-10/bc-p/32500...

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I have a home use license on a Win 10 laptop. Seems to work ok but I haven't worked it very hard.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I've started testing it with ST8 (and ST9) and have no issues.  Like Sean said, biggest deal is where are all those familiar Windows utilities...  Cortana is my new best friend!  Love the new Edge browser.  Wish more software would work with it...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Ditto on the search tool for finding common Windows apps. Most, if not all, were moved to right clicking on the start button. For example control panel used to be left click on start (Win 7 anyway). Now it takes a right click.

Bruce Shand

Thanks @bshand!  Didn't know about the right click on the Windows Start button.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Hi,

have done the upgrade 2 month ago on all our computers and besides minor issues outsider SE it does a great job and is making us happy.

Old computers,  and I'm talking about really old computers (8 years) are running now much faster and smoother than before.

(startup time from power on until ready to work changed from 5 minutes down to 1)

OK,  SE itself did not speed up that much but also hasn't got slowlier.

Biggest issue for all of us is to find ourselves within windows.

Conclusion for us is an absolutely Yes!

regards
Wolfgang

An interesting poll to take:

Who has moved from Win7 (or 8) to Win10?

And why?

I don't see us moving from 7 to 10 until support from either Microsoft or Siemens goes away.

Bruce Shand

US DoD annonounced that they (probally the largest enterprise) will be moving 4 million devices to Windows 10. If it passes their criteria I'm sure it will pass most other organizations criteria.

Funny thing, this also mentions:

"This means that Surface [family of products] has met the strict security and interoperability requirements required by the DoD."

I sent this to our CIO who is still balking at upgrading to WIndows or even allowing a Surface device on our network.

[ Edited ]

Upgraded at work from 7 to 10 and love it.  Some of our SSD's were filling up and with Windows 10 we were able to free up space and love 10.  Minor issues and the"November update" took care of most things.  Currently in Edge I notice I get checkers displaying in the viewing window in part/assembly but I quick zoom out and in takes care of it. Also,  when moving as window from primary to as second or third monitor can make the entire window go black.  I have to move it back to the primary and then back over.  I'm not sure how much of this is related to Windows 10 or the video card driver.

Also upgraded personal computer at home from Windows 8. Rarely use edge but have had no issues. 

We will be upgrading everyone in the company before June since it is only free to upgrade until then. About a dozen Edge users and about 75 employees in total. 

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP