ST8 locking up

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Anyone having trouble with ST8 locking up? I can see it startup and get to the welcome screen. Once there, I can't click anything and have to end task. The first time I encountered this, I uninstalled and reinstalled. Now that it's happened again, I'd really like to understand why. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was something specific on my machine since I do development. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net
8 REPLIES

Re: ST8 locking up

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Oh boy...and if you cant instantly figure this out, there is no way, any of us "mere motals" will have anything to add  Robot LOL .....oh, and no, not seen anything like that here.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Solution Partner Phenom

Yeah, I had the issue almost right out of the gate after initially installing.

I've tried deleting

C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge

It's not even consuming CPU. It's just sitting there idle and unresponsive.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Solution Partner Phenom

Ok, figured out what's causing it but I don't know why yet.

If I set

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 108\Global\Display Solid Edge Spotlight

to 0, the problem goes away. I should probably file an IR to at least document the issue.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Solution Partner Phenom

Here is the documentation on Solid Edge Spotlight.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting that Spotlight is linked to this issue....I have it turned off on both our ST8 machines, but we of course made it to the SE Options to set that.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

@jnewell I wonder if some sort of firewall or other network protection is halting the Spotlight from displaying and that be the underlying root cause.

If I might ask,  what pointed you to modifying that Reg value in the 1st place?  I'm amazed that you would have been so "lucky" to find the single key value to resolve your problem.

What was you method to get from point A (not loading) to point B (setting that key to (0) and that resolving the issue.

Solution Partner Phenom

I suppose experience and process of elimination led me to the fix. Like I said, I initially blew it off after the install because I just figured something got goofed. I uninstalled, reinstalled and everything worked as expected for a couple of weeks, including the Spotlight functionality. Out of no where (seemingly), it just started hanging again. Here is my thought pattern.

1. Disable Kaspersky Internet Security (Antivirus)
  2. Shut down all possible applications
  3. Reboot
  4. Delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 108
  5. Delete C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge
  6. Use Fiddler to see if any Internet traffic was occurring from the process
  7. Use Process Monitor to see if anything jumped out at me (experience)
  8. Use Process Explorer to see if anything jumped out at me (experience)
  9. Set all HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 108\AddIns AutoConnect to 0 to manually disable all addins.
  10. Since I wasn't getting into a document environment, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 108\Global seemed like a logical place to start. I read the key names and modified the ones I thought that could be the culprit.

* I didn't try it this time but I usually test another Windows account as often times the issue is Windows profile related.

As you said, I got "lucky" that I found it but a lot went into finding it.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Thanks for this window into your troubleshooting process!!!