ST8 produces black rectangle when exported or printed to PDF file

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi!

I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Then ST6 stopped working and I’ve installed ST8.

Except for the rare crash occasions, everything was fine until I tried to print or export part/assembly to PDF file. It produces black rectangle in either conditions:

• When “Graphics card driven (Advanced)” is selected in SolidEdge options->View->Application display.
  • When “Graphics card driven” is selected in SolidEdge options->View->Application display.
  • When “Automatic selection” is checked in SolidEdge options->View->Application display.

Also black rectangle is shown in the small preview window when I try to drag and drop a part into assembly.

It does not produce black rectangle if “Software driven” rendering is selected in options->View->Application display. But this is ridiculously slow to work with! One may blame the graphic card (Intel HD Graphics 4000 in my case) but ST6 on Windows 8.1 worked perfectly and never had above problems with the same hardware.

The following methods I’ve tried to produce PDF files from parts and assemblies:

• Save as Adobe PDF document. Result: black rectangle.
  • Save as 3D Adobe PDF document. Result: work fine.
  • Print to CutePDF (virtual printer). Result: black rectangle.
  • Print to AdobePDF (virtual printer). Result: black rectangle.
  • Print to Microsoft PDF (virtual printer). Result: black rectangle.
  • Direct printing to a physical printer. Result: black rectangle.

Again, if “Software driven” rendering is chosen then ST8 produces PDFs with either methods and with no glitches.

Generation of the PDF (by either method) from draft files works fine all the time.

I do not know if a problem is with ST8, Windows 10 or video adapter driver. Any help is highly appreciated! Let me know how to extract log files from ST8, I’ll post it right away

3 REPLIES

Re: ST8 produces black rectangle when exported or printed to PDF file

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you downloaded and installed the current driver for the HD graphics from Intel for Windows 10?  It would indicate that perhaps that was not done and Windows is driving it with a generic driver perhaps.  Windows 10 is a different OS than 8.1 and thus requires specific hardware drivers for things like display adapters.  Windows 10 will not use the Windows 8.1 driver that was installed and will thus substitute a generic driver to make the display work.   You need to get the correct one from Intel (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Pretty certain this is directly related to Windows 10....and only seems to affect images out of native SE, not Keyshot, and seemingly only in the 3D environment. Draft worked fine for me.

I presume your file was a 2D PDF created from your 3D model.

I had the same issue for a while, but the fix for it came in "Maintenance Pack 2"....it also fixes the thumbnail display in Windows Explorer.....I suggest installing this update ASAP.

I accepted this behaiviour as I"m running Solid Edge on an, as yet, uncertified operating system. Cant say I have noticed anything else stopping me from my daya to day work flows.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Grundey and SeanCresswell!

Thank you for both advises from you!

So I did:

1) Upgraded Intel dirver from version win64_153338 to win64_153339

2) Installed lots of latest updates for my Windows 10 Pro.

At first, after reboot, the SolidEdge produced normal 2D PDF from a 3D model but then second and the rest of my attemts resulted in black rectangle :-(

Then I've performed the 3rd step:

3) Installed Maintenance Pack 2

And the black thing is finally gone!

I would conclude that the issue was with SolidEdge.

Thanks for your help! And I hope this thread will help other ST users too.