ST8 stopped working from one day to another

Experimenter
Experimenter

So i have ST8 installed on my computer and it had been working fine for months but when i opened it up today it was completely unresponsive. If i open it directly i can access the start screen and select any of the options, but as soon as i create a new file or open an old one, it takes 5 minutes for it to open and once it is, i cant even use it. What i mean with that last part is that the ST8 window and interface displays correctly, i see my part, i see all menus and submenus, but i cant click anything

i've searched and found the supposed solution of setting the registry value of the spotlight key to 0, but that didnt work (and yes i rebooted)
reinstalling ST8 seems to be a temporary fix but i rather not do that as it is a pain in the a** to install ST8 with all the addons

13 REPLIES

Re: ST8 stopped working from one day to another

Phenom
Phenom

The most recent round of updates state that some commands (creating a part or sheet metal) will open MS excel. Do you have a current (2010+) copy of MS office on the computer? ST10 will required 2013+

Experimenter
Experimenter

yes i do have excel 2016 installed on the computer too
but i don't understand the problem
i don't see excel starting up when i open SE

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @ghylander

give a try to renmae or delete Your Current User registry Solid Edge Version 108 

This will reset the options to default and You can see wether or not Solid Edge will start using this parameters.

If so, then You know that there must be a strange or false entry within the SE regs

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

i did so but i still have the same problem

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @ghylander

OK, next standard procedure!

Can You change to another user account on that machine to see wether or not the problem also occurs with a different user?

May be it is a permission issue, so if possible try to get admin rights.

Next would be to check wether antivirus software is involved.

Stop it for 5 minutes to see again wether or not this helps.

Then my standard question comes up: "Do You have any maintenance packs installed.

Install the latest again .

If that all would not help then uninstall SE, clear all registries, directories and don't forget %appdata%

Afterwards reinstall SE again, take care about turning OFF the UserAccountControl

I hope at least then Your SE will work  as usual without any problems and restrictions.

Because this might be the end of my inspirations about that issue.

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

its working now

i dont know why really
i went twice over your steps, and the first time i reinstalled it the issue wasn't gone
just tried again and it's working correctly (for now at least)
thanks for the help!

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @ghylander

first of all I'm happy that it works, but on the other hand it would be fine to knwo why all that happend.

You said that You had to go through all these steps twice?

Did You a reboot somewhen?

This could be a hint for the UAC 

Nevertheless even it is solved it stays most inexplicable - ominous

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yes i had to

first time, i unisntalled st8 and erased the whole unigraphic solutions registry directory. I rebooted and reinstalled it and nothing changed

Second time, i uninstalled st8, keyshot, the whole AppData unigraphic solutions directory, the whole registry directory again, and set the uac to minimum level

so it most probably was an issue with uac or appdata

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @ghylander

UAC - as usual.

This since Win7, is one of the most frequently reasons for problems

regards
Wolfgang