ST9 Break line issue when opening ST8 version draft file

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am having an issue with break lines not being the same in ST9 as they are in ST8.

I have many draft file with 2 top views of an assembly. One of the views has some components exploded. Views are aligned with Keypoint - vertical settings. There is a break line in one view that is inherited in 2nd view.

Draft file needs assembly updated. File needs updated due to a change in part file for shell (204.par) When I open assembly in ST8, update all open documents, save & close. it looks as it should, it does need 2 dims reattached to a different location on shell, but this is normal. And when same draft just updated and saved in ST8 is then opened in ST9 it also looks as it should.

Problem is when file is opened in ST9, without 1st being updated in ST8, it still needs updating. When update is done on assembly, same procedure as in ST8, the break lines loose the inheritance.

To make it worse, when I try to fix break line inheritance, the modifying of break lines is nothing like it was in ST8, I can't get it to work.

I attached complete tree of model from ST9 Design manager via pack and go of files with no updates. 'break lines.zip'

Pictures attached:

'ST8 break lines.jpg' this is after model upodate & draft update.

'ST9 before update.jpg', this is after model update, but before draft update.

'ST9 before after.jpg', this is after model & draft update.

I have MP2 installed for ST9.

ST9 is a clean install on a laptop I have had for 2 days, so it is pristine Windows 7 64 bit.. I have made no changes to SE options yet, it is pure vanilla. I was just testing  & experimenting with ST9 when I found this. ST8 files where checked on another PC.

I also attached screen capture of About SE screen for reference. 'ST9 version.jpg'

Anu ideas or suggestions?

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

4 REPLIES

Re: ST9 Break line issue when opening ST8 version draft file

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I had a similar issue with detail views in ST9 that has been confirmed by GTAC as a bug. As a workaround, GTAC told me to select CTRL+SHIFT > Update Views to regenerate the view and it worked for me. You might try that and see if it works.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I sent GTAC an example of break line issues I am having in ST9 today and got a very prompt reply.

Issue is related to drawing views that are aligned using keypoint rather than drawing center. Drawing center does not properly (in my opinion) align 2 top views when one of them is exploded.

They had previous reports of issue and are working on it. Fix may not be until MP4 or MP5 I was informed.

Text of IR is below.

17-NOV-2016       GARY DINGES   THERM-O-DISC   1320 S. MAIN STREET   MANSFIELD, OH 44907 IR Description: Inhereted break line not responding in ST9 with ST8 created                 files  Dear Customer, Your recent call to the Technical Access Center, Incident Report (IR)Number 7885818 opened on 17-NOV-2016, has been researched by our GTACsoftware engineers. It has been determined that this IR requires resolutionby our SOLID_EDGE development team. This IR was converted into a problem report (PR) 17-NOV-2016 and is now referenced as PR Number 7885818, with a priority code of 2 Serious. We will advise an updated status by e-mail when the issue is resolved. You mayview the status of this report through the Create or Update an IR option on our GTAC Support web page at http://www.siemens.com/gtac. Select the Create or Update an IR option. This tool requires a WebKey username and password. Once youare logged into the QTAC tool, select the Search option from the toolbar. Thank you for contacting the Global Technical Access Center. Sincerely, The Global Technical Access Center Team

Gary

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I recieced a notigication from GTAC that they had resolved the break line issue. Copied below.

Gary

Dear Customer,

Reference: PR Number 7885818 

Siemens PLM believes that the problem you reported where Inhereted break line

not responding in ST9 with ST8 created files will be resolved by code changes

made to the release of our product Solid Edge ST9 MP3.

In the unlikely event that this does not resolve the problem or if you have

further questions or comments on this subject, please contact the Global

Technical Access Center (at 1-800-955-0000 or 1-714-952-5444) so that we can

help address the issue.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is anyone having issues with inhereted break lines in ST9 MP3?

GTAC did get issue partially fixed with MP3, but it is still unpredictable.

All I did to drawing picture atached was to open assy, open to edit the outer pvc tube over wires, shorten it. Close both files.

Break lines were totally messed up. Part of issue may have been that PVC tube was shortened so one end was betwen break lines.

I haven't had time to work on duplicating this so I could send to GTAC as of yet.

Thanks,

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com