Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST9 Colour faces at Assembly Level

Creator
Creator

Hi all,

It's not looking to be feasible but thought I'd ask the question again in case someone has since found a work around.

I need to apply colours to specific faces in the Assembly environment that differ from faces in the Part environment. I've been able to change the colour of the entire part but can't work out how to change the face colours. Smiley Frustrated

Has anyone managed to work out how to do this?

Cheers,

Dean.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: ST9 Colour faces at Assembly Level

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Does applying colors to faces at the part level and then choosing '(Use Part Style)' at the assembly level work for you?

UsePartStyle.png

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your suggestion Tushar.

I just tried this and, yes that works. The problem is though that I'll need different colours on different faces at assembly level. 

To give you an idea of what I'm trying to achieve, we have a part that requires a particular surface rougness specified on a number of faces at the machining (part) level. This part is then assembled with another item, then painted. We need to show which faces need to be masked for the painting process at the assembled level. These faces differ to those on the part level. To summarise, I need a totally different colour scheme at the assembly level.

I hope this makes sense. 

Cheers, Dean.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @DeanSmith,

This is yet another LONG sought after enhancement Robot Frustrated .....there is still no "EASY" way to do this.

We typically use the draft of the item, using "Fill's" to highlight zones across multiple part instances, in an assembly, in order to communicate this sort of deal.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

Thanks Sean,

I'm really surprised about this. I'm a long time Solidworks user and would have thought this functionality was in SolidEdge. Disappointing.

I'll have to use your work around as you suggest. That's going to be rather time consuming.

Thank you very much for taking time out to answer my call. Smiley Wink

Kind regards, Dean.