ST9: DXF export

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear community,

please help me with setting an export to DXF file. The drawings are simple 2D as contour for cutting machine. The machine can load DXF files but have problems with "complex" entities like INSERT, NURBS, SPLINES etc. Is there a way how to export DXF file which not have INSERT blocks, but only entities like LINES, ARCS, POLYLINES? 

Thank you.

SpaM

7 REPLIES

Re: ST9: DXF export

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Try to manipulate the save options to  DXF.

When you use "Save as", select .dxf and Options. There you'll find some options to turn the dft to dxf. 

Experimenter
Experimenter

I installed trial ST9 but can not find "save as DXF" option. Do I need to install something else?

Thank you. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
  1. Save As or Save As Translated.
  2. Change Save as type: to "AutoCAD documents (*.dxf)"
  3. Select Options button

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Really, you shouldn't save out the drawing as dxf for programming a cutting machine. YOu should be in the sheet metal environment and save as dxf from there.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @SpaMBX001,

What build & version of Solid Edge are you using?.....if using Free2D, then you're i bit stuck, but,  if you're using one of the full commecial 3D builds, [Foundation, Classic, Premium] then the only place that has this control, is from the Sheet Metal environment specific "Options", where there is a check box to allow the user to "Simplify b-splines". Attached are the flat pattern DXF files from a very basic sheet metal part, but shows it in both states.

ST9_PSM_FlatPatternTreatments.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

I do not have "AutoCAD documents (*.dxf)" option in ST9. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SpaMBX001, What module are you in... Draft, Part, Sheet Metal?

If you are not in Draft, then you will not have that option as you are in a 3D environment and it does not export to a 2D DWG or DXF.

If you are in Sheet Metal, then you can use the "Save As Flat" command which uses the options that @SeanCresswell mentioned and should give you clean geometry but your model must be created using the sheet metal commands I believe to be able to use this command.  If just 2D, then use the Tab command to create it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1