Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ST9 Dialog windows slow down

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

When this starts to occur, can you start Task Manager and go to the details pane and find the GDI Objects count?

I don't have Win10 but on Win7 once you have task manager up and you are on the "Processes" tab (I think that is "Details" in Win10), you can go to the "View" menu and run the "Select Columns" command. On that dialog you can check the "GDI Objects" box. After dismissing, the column is added. Find "Edge.exe" and see what the GDI object count is. Ideally it is at most a few thousand. Anything approaching 10,000 spells trouble.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@RDH wrote:

When this starts to occur, can you start Task Manager and go to the details pane and find the GDI Objects count?

I don't have Win10 but on Win7 once you have task manager up and you are on the "Processes" tab (I think that is "Details" in Win10), you can go to the "View" menu and run the "Select Columns" command. On that dialog you can check the "GDI Objects" box. After dismissing, the column is added. Find "Edge.exe" and see what the GDI object count is. Ideally it is at most a few thousand. Anything approaching 10,000 spells trouble.

GDI Object count is 1920 - 2000

Siemens Genius

Rats. Perfectly reasonable.

Legend
Legend

Still same problem...

See attached clip

(view in My Videos)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Jan_Bos

Your video unfortunately is not seen here

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Genius

I don't suppose you can bring up TaskManager and examine the CPU usage BEFORE bringing up the dialog? I'm curious as to whether Edge is using a lot of the CPU while doing nothing. See what the CPU usage is for Edge (details page again) before you click the element and then when you do click the element. If Edge is using the CPU a lot before bringing up the dialog, that could slow down the dialog.

I have seen slow dialogs before and when it is affecting all dialogs, there is usually an OS or driver issue lurking in the back ground.

Also, I am curious. Is this limited to using 3D environments or does just working with draft files show the issue too?

Gears Phenom

@RDH wrote:

I don't suppose you can bring up TaskManager and examine the CPU usage BEFORE bringing up the dialog? I'm curious as to whether Edge is using a lot of the CPU while doing nothing. See what the CPU usage is for Edge (details page again) before you click the element and then when you do click the element. If Edge is using the CPU a lot before bringing up the dialog, that could slow down the dialog.

I have seen slow dialogs before and when it is affecting all dialogs, there is usually an OS or driver issue lurking in the back ground.

Also, I am curious. Is this limited to using 3D environments or does just working with draft files show the issue too?

Before click the CPU usage is 0%

After Click, during the dialog drawing the CPU usage goes up to 13%; when the dialog is fully drawed the CPU goes back to 0%.

The problem is not affected in all the dialog, by now I see this problem in:

- Drawing view assistant

- Callout

- Weld symbol

- Tollerance frame

- text

2D or 3D is no difference, same problem

Gears Phenom
In the mean time my VAR opened an

IR 9018172

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Fiorni, try doing a repair on the SE installation and see if that makes a difference.  Or, if you'd rather, uninstall the MP and reinstall it.

Legend
Legend

I have uninstalled ST10  cleaned the registery and reinstalled without MP's

Still present,  see clip

(view in My Videos)

Will apply MP2 now.

Reg.

Jan Bos