ST9 Fastener System won't allow desired size bolt in correctly sized holes.

[ Edited ]

I have a part in an assembly that is attached using an M30 x 140 structural bolt.  The holes in the part are 30 mm diameter.  When I use the Fastener System command the available bolt sizes are listed as M20 and M24 but not the desired M30.  I know there is no problem with the part because I can manually assemble the M30 x 140 bolt in no problem and there is no interference.  As a test, I took the part and made an assembly from it with no other parts in it.  There, the Fastener System allows the M30 size to be selected from and works as expected.

So I am wondering if other parts in an assembly have influence on the Fastener System - even though they are excluded from the command.  This is driving me nuts and I am going to have to manually place the bolt in the assembly!  I am sure this is a bug unless anybody has some "insight" into this?  Anybody run into this behaviour?

12 REPLIES

Re: ST9 Fastener System won't allow desired size bolt in correctly sized holes.

I'm used to english/imperial units, and I dont' use any of the canned bolts,but I have a suspect for you. At that size, the bolt pitch moves to over 3" that is standard in the US. I wonder if the bolt pitch limits are causing you problems.

When I was doing connection design, when bolts moved up from 7/8" to 1-1/16" all kind of hell with the bolt patterns broke loose.

There is only one single bolt being used here.  No bolt pattern as such.  Are you saying that Solid Edge has some kind of bolt pitch checking functionality?

No, but I thought it was possible because of the size you ar having problems with.

@chrisstandring  Are you able to edit a fastener system? Here it say's "unable to edit fastener system" when I try to edit definition.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@bshand, I have not bothered to place the Fastener System because it won't list the size I want - only smaller sizes.  As I mentioned earlier it seems that some other parts (or their relationships) in the assembly are interfering somehow with the Fastener System command.  I say this because if I create an assembly containing just the part that I am trying to assemble the bolt to the Fastener System works just fine and allows the correct size bolt.

To put a bit of context to this, here are a couple of videos:

Bolt size (M30) unavailable when in the assembly:

https://www.screencast.com/t/qprtn97g23

Bolt size available when part is by itself:

https://www.screencast.com/t/fdvOkMSe

Cheers,

Chris

Does it work if you increase the hole size, say to 31 or 32mm ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

As a quick test, If I increase the diameter from 30 mm then yes the M30 size appeares in the pick list.  However I refuse to do that as a permanent solution because it compromises the model and is a kludge.  There is clearly something else going on in that assembly.  Besides, a 30 mm hole is already known to work elsewhere.

While you can generally fit a M30 bolt into a 30mm hole you should not and the practice of doing such is unsafe. If you care to do this right I would suggest looking up ASME B18.2.8 where it will tell you to use a 31mm hole on the close end with a suggested normal hole of 33mm.

@nanan00, the item is existing.  The holes are line-bored and the design has not had any issues in the last 30 years.  Excessive clearance will produce higher stresses due to greater stress concentration effects.  I appreciate your concern, but for this Solid Edge issue it is beside the point as the software should not be misbehaving in this way.