ST9 - Frame w/Assy Feature Error

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hello my fellow Edge-heads,

My colleague encountered a problem yesterday, that I could not initially figure out how to get past it, until this morning. [without simply remaking this part of the assembly]

It started off with a complete processing machine assembly in draft, and discovered the BOM could not be placed, and it crashed Solid Edge EVERY time.

After spending some time isolating it down, we got to the earliest structure in the entire machine, which is the "Frame". Innocently using the frame design environment, as we have done for many models before this one. Only to discover that a cutout, assembly driven feature, was the root cause.

We have since made a work around, of deleting the two side rails the cutout was acting upon, and that restored life to continue as normal.

I have used "Pack-and-Go" to copy the frame assembly out, and attached it here, if anyone has any thoughts as to why this happened.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
3 REPLIES

Re: ST9 - Frame w/Assy Feature Error

Phenom
Phenom

The feature missed the part completely. So the cut can't find any materials. Once I moved the cutout to hit the frame members, it worked. Then I created a draft and attempted to add a parts list. Complete crash. Same result as you.

I then deleted that feature and added a cutout of my own from a pre existing sketch (One I made). The program crashed immediately.

The best thing I could do for you is try to re-create the problem from scratch. I could not. Attached was my 1 min version of the same thing woutout the problem.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for taking a look at it @12GAGE,

Glad [sort of] it isn't just us that is seeing this issue, well at least, with this file.

My guy actually moved the cutout out of the way on purpose [as we have eliminated the hole, in favor of a welded flange plate there now] to see if it was the cause, but strangely, SE allowed the save, without crashing for that one time.  Just trying to delete the cutout feature and hit save, crashes Solid Edge out straight away.

As I said, we did get past it, by deleting the existing rails, and the problem went away.

Thanks again.

EDIT: my reseller has submitted this to GTAC for further investigation. [IR#7780835]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

We are seeing this issue from an API view-point at Krones and an IR has been submitted as well.

Assembly level features are failing but we were able to get around it by dumping some more code on top of existing, though it is not an acceptable solution even it is working for now.

Thanks @SeanCresswell for highlighting this. I thought it was only the API that had problems, though I must mention frames are not involved in the case we are handling.