ST9 / Insight - Problem with Cache Assistant

[ Edited ]

We just upgrade Solid Edge and Insight from ST5 to ST9 and we have problem with the cache assistant.

If I open a assembly the file checks out from the server and when I close if it checks back in as normal. Earlier the cache was cleared when the .asm-file was checked in but not now after the upgrade. Both the .asm and its including parts are left in the cache...  And as long they are in the cache we can not run Life cycle assistant on them.

What to do?

cashe.png

13 REPLIES

Re: ST9 / Insight - Problem with Cache Assistant

I'm confused by your post. I've never experienced an automatic cache clearing upon checking in anything. Also, never concerned myself with the cache when running LCA.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I'm confused too.  We used Insight from it's inception till ST6 and the files were never cleared from the Insight cache in any version.

Perhaps you are confused by the CacheManager filters which may have been set to show only file checked out to you in your previous version and it has been reset in ST9 to show all files...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Okay, maby I'm completely wrong here, I think I need to learn more about how the cache works in Solid Edge. Where do I find these cache filters?

But Is there any explanation for why my colleague could not change the status to realesed in LCA? He did not get any error messages when he'd pressed finish in the command. But no action had be done when we'd checked the logs.

And then when we cleared the cache LCA worked as usual.

Here is a where you can define the view options in the Cache Manger

CacheManger.png

With the upgrade from ST5 to ST9 there are some special things you have to be aware.

Because they changed the way of search fundamentally. May be there are the problems you are facing?

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

[ Edited ]

@Stefan_Mitsch  Your cache window may be different from mine. Where you right clicked gives me options only for the one file in that box. I usually use the checked-out by column. That's the only place I know that the OP may need to change the setting to see all the files or not. And that involves a left click in the box below the column name. Am I missing something?

Bruce Shand

@bshand: Your are right. RMB on a file you will get only the options for that specific document.

You just have to do a RMB on the blank space to get the context menu

CacheManger2.png

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

[ Edited ]

@Stefan_Mitsch You may be on to something with the search.  We found that one of the indexes did not update very fast and took several minutes to achknowledge changes, so if you tried an immediate action after checking in a file that depended on that index updating, then it might fail but wait a few minutes and it would then work.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

@Stefan_Mitsch  OK. My cache had many parts so no empty box was available below so I have to pick an empty box to the right. Didn't know about the empty box thing though. I've always used the filters on the second row.

Bruce Shand

@Grundey: The delay in finding files comes from the change in the way Insight is searching. Now they use the SharePoint Searchindex. This index is updated in an interval of a few minutes. Therefore you have the delay in finding links if you try a "Where used" right after saving a file to SharePoint.

But this is how  SharePoint works. In the next SharePoint the index should be updated in realtime and we wont have this delay anymore.

Before this Insight used its own search based on SQL queries. There you did not have this delay but the SharePoint DB had some extra columns beside the SharePoint data and it was not the real SharePoint design.

After an Update you have to clean the DB otherwise you will run in some trouble.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de