ST9 Install problems on Windows 10 64bit

Builder
Builder

Edger's

We have been experiencing problems installing ST9 to windows 10 64bit.  Once IT join the system to the company domain and give me full install rights under my domain profile ST9 appears to install without error to the default location C:\Program Files but upon completion ST9 cannot be found in control pannel programs and features.  So the install has failed.  Second I noticed that the Windows folder on the C:\ drive changed to C:\windows.old.  Tried install from ST9 DVD and correctly downloaded msi from Siemens web site.  Both result in failed installs.

When this occurs the system has to be reformated and the OS re-installed.  I am at odds with the IT dept and beleive their permissions given to my domain profile are not of full control but they insist it is.  

Has anyone else encounted such difficulties installing ST9 to Wins 10.  I did not have any issue installing ST9 to windows 7 64bit and now the IT guy says its only Solid edge that he has a problem with installing to Windows 10.  

Interested in your experiences and fixes

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC
9 REPLIES

Re: ST9 Install problems on Windows 10 64bit

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We have not had any issues with installing ST9 to Win 10.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

The only issue I have seen is when the User Access Control Settings on the machine are not turned all the way down to Never Notify.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Our UAC is set to Always Notify and no install issues here, but you should always "Run As Administrator".

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Builder
Builder

Guys thx for the feedback and to respond

1) Yes UAC is always turned off or never notify

2) Run as Administrator always executed

ANyone know of any windows domian or local permissions that prevent ST9 form installing.  I also disable the AV.

Time to do some deeper digging and testing.

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @mspadmin

Have you tried getting your IT dept to add the common domain group for your modellers to the workstation's local "Administrators" group (for each workstation)? This will allow admin level access for your modellers on the local workstation only.

Builder
Builder

Yes I m told this has been done although I have no server access to confirm this however I suspect I can check via security on the Local C:\ drive to confirm.

Ill take a look and let you know.  I did check system and this has full control however.

Thx Phil

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi,

You said SE files were installed - is it a full install, ~ 5.4GB?  If so, can you run edge.exe, is SE in your start menu?

What version of Win10 are you on?  V1024, 1511, or 1607?  (run winver from start menu)

[edit:  v1511 is our minimum]

You can install SE silently and specify to create a log file, then that might give a clue as to what is happening.

Also, we always install with UAC on with the default setting.

Justin

Experimenter
Experimenter

I checked for Netframework and it was already installed (black box).  But now I'm getting an error 1935: An error occurred during the installation of assembly component.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter