ST9 MP3 - Read-Only Assistant Wasting My Time

After clean installing ST9 MP3 (Ordered) Read-Only Assistant is interfering with my work opening 3D file once and draft files all the time if Solid Edge is open (with or without open file).

All the gpedit.msc stuff, 'Automatically revise drawings that use...' etc. do not help.

Update status of the draft views have no effect, Read-Only Assistant is opening anyway.

Only way to get rid of Read-Only Assistant popping up with draft is to select the draft view, open 3D file, save it (without modifying geometry), go back to its draft, save and close it without any change.

Than on the following opening of the same draft Read-Only Assistant dose not pop up.

What is the reason and way to get rid of this trouble.

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.

AAA Engineering, Canada

AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2017
4 REPLIES

Re: ST9 MP3 - Read-Only Assistant Wasting My Time

Just to add, even going to draft 3D and saving it and going back to draft does not help all the time.

Milan.
AAA Engineering, Canada

Not seeing that here.  Where are the files stored?  Using SharePoint?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your response.

I am not using SharePoint. I am using Solid Edge Classic since appr 1996 and SolidWorks Premium about 2007.

Many years ago, mid 80's doing AutoCad 14 and loosing track of the drawings, I did start to play with VBA and developed my own PLM \ ERP package. It has 99% required functionality for Solid Edge and SolidWorks for LAN use.

Please look at the snip of my own ERP in attachment.

Read-Only Assistant problem started after running OpenSave.exe from ST9 across a many thousands oldest SE files. I did not see many problems running it, but after trying to use some of these ST9 upsized old files for the new project Read-Only Assistant was popping up for files. I did not see this before. 

Last few hours I was going thru its code.

In the attachment you can see the forms (bit too many open this time) with particular Item Number related files, shown by its thumbnails, which are automatically found by ERP system.

File thumbnail viewer code component I did purchase from the outside company and was not updated by its developer for about 3 years. It uses Ocx file inside SysWOW64 and I thing that with ST9 MP3 there is problem opening particular file with this Ocx file.

It is interesting that problem never occurs if the Solid Edge is not running and after double click on thumbnails Ocx will have to open Solid Edge first and than succssesfuly related file.

I change the code be picking from thumbnail only file full path and used Solid Edge VB to get selected file open bypassing this Ocx internal functionality which I cannot control and adding bit of sleep time in the code.

Based on my quick test it eliminate problem almost 100%.

When searching on the problem across SE Forums I did see that there was ST8 MP5 with correction:

PR 7603770: Read only assistant displays incorrect status and status icon.

I wonder if it is the same problem again troubling ST9 MP3.

Lets keep fingers crossed and do some 3D design running.

Thanks,

Milan.

AAA Engineering, Canada

So you only see this issue when using your automation code?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10