ST9 - Multibody part - different material

I have designed a part of foam.

Now I've been asked to make the 2 sides in a stronger foam.

So I created 2 planes and made a split to have a multibody part.

When I change the material, the material of all 3 bodys change.  

Can this be different? How?

Thanks!

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user
14 REPLIES

Betreff: ST9 - Multibody part - different material

Hi @Joris

as this was discuseed a couple of days ago, NO, one part = one material

But - as there always is a "but" - after separating those 3 parts into 3 separate part files, of course associative, You can change these materials for those individual part childs.

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks for your answer, but:

PFFffff....

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

Re: ST9 - Multibody part - different material

I think i recalling hearing something in the ST10 release that there were improvemets to Multi part...

Maybe Different Sheet metal Gauges?  maybe multi Material???

@DavidChadwick or @LauraWatson   can either of you expand on the whats new for Multi Body in ST10, if any?

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

[ Edited ]

Matt - what I see in ST10 is more in the area of better tools to create a "one body assembly" from an assembly. So maybe the workflow suggested to create an assembly of individual parts and then create a one body assembly from it when needed wll be the way to go in ST10. Some reasons to do this might be to remove design details and protect your IP if you need to send out your design to a 3rd party, or to improve performance in large assemblies,

Dave

{David Chadwick}, {Solid Edge Global Product Marketing}, {Siemens PLM Software}

Not much of a hardship to publish the assembly and assign the correct materials is it? They are still linked to the parent part so you can still edit in context if needed. I think your Pffffttt is lazy drafting/modelling if I'm honest.

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Hi @Guy_H77

this is the same I'm thinking about!

After modelling the master aprt with multiple bodies in it, press the "Multi-Body Publish" button and that's it.

Changing individual material within the childs, which also is not a real hard work to do.

regards
Wolfgang

So I guess there's something wrong with asking for more features so you can do things a certain way rather than another. A way that you might think is more efficient. Assemblies take more overhead. Not a great amount usually but for me if I don't need an assembly for documentation purposes I'd rather only have to deal with one file. So sorry.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

After you publish use Property Manager to set the materials.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com