Solved! Go to solution

ST9 - No stitching Issue but unable to obtain solid model

Hi everyone,

I am trying to convert my surfaces from that to a solid model. I am able to stitch them, subsequently run the "show non-stitched edges" without seeing any problems. I can thicken my model but it does not seem to convert it into a solid model. 

Can anybody help?

4 REPLIES

Re: ST9 - No stitching Issue but unable to obtain solid model

Hi @Gui

Are you using a academic/student version of Solid Edge.

If you could export to an IGES/STEP/Parasolid, then it can be opened in the regular version.

Regards,

Tushar

[ Edited ]

OK, I could open the part in SW2015 and export a Parasolid and from there could open in ST 9.

I saw no need to stitch but could easily thicken it.

See video:

I can share the thickened part as well, but doubt if you could open it if you are using a student/academic version.

Regards,

Tushar

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gui
3 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

Nice going @Tushar........however, academic version can open files from commercial version, but not the other way around, once save in it the file is coded to it. [Student/Academic]

@Gui, from the look of the part in Tushar's video, Solid Edge was not able to turn it into a solid model after stitching, because it technically is not a "closed volume".....hence why Tushar opted to "Thicken" it.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

@Tushar, thank you so much for the video, I was able to thicken it too with my model, I guess it was my misunderstanding where I thought that a base feature must had to be made to use it as a solid. But I guess just by thicken it, SE knows its a solid. 

@SeanCresswell, thank you for the explanation. It is good to know that base features are only created for closed volumes, will keep that in mind for the future.

Thank you again for spending time to review my design, very much appreciated.