ST9 Parallel Text issue, point of rotation is way off-center

Creator
Creator

As usual, I update to a new version of Solid Edge and things that were working fine before, no longer work correctly, causing me much frustation and making my job more time consuming. [Sorry, end rant]

Working 100% with Sheet Metal, part of my job is placing a bunch of flat patterns of different .psm files on a draft sheet, and then using the Bend Table command to place callouts (no tables) that show the bend angle + bend direction (ex: 90 Down) for every bend in the flat pattern using the check box to "Place bend callouts inline with the centerlines" . This means all the callouts that are placed on vertical lines use the "parallel text" option to rotate the callout 90 degrees.

With all previous versions of ST this worked flawlessly, placing vertical callouts at the center of the bendlines where they should be. However, now with ST9 it seems the Parallel Text option (or changing the angle) is rotating the callouts off-center, which causes them to be much further away from vertical bend lines than they are supposed to be (which means I have to manually move hundreds of callouts to the center of the vertical bendlines myself, which is obviously a huge time sink for me hence my frustation). Using "center alignment" did not work. Is this unintentional? A bug? Is there any way to fix this and change the point of rotation for callouts?

8 REPLIES

Re: ST9 Parallel Text issue, point of rotation is way off-center

can you share a screen shot showing your desired (pre ST9) callout vs what you are seeing now...
===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Creator
Creator

Oh yeah! Sorry I forgot to do that. Screenshot is below.

Basically, the point of rotation is the top-left of the callout instead of the center. I tried changing the alignment to center but that didn't work. 

have you tried to copy / paste the dimension style between the two drafts.   soemtime after years of doing things we have forgot that over time we customized a style and relly dont recall or know how/why we did...

can you share your draft (a dumbed down singel view like your snap shot) in st8 and st9 formatting...?

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Creator
Creator

Well first of all I've never had to change any settings to get this to work correctly. Callouts always rotated on their centers by default. Secondly, I have all the styles set-up on a template, and I use that one template for everything, so all the styles are still the same. Basically, when you place a callout on a vertical line, and toggle "Parallel Text" button on and off, you can see the point of rotation is now the top-left instead of the center. On previous versions it would always rotate from the center. I have no clue why that would suddenly change, especially since there doesn't seem to be any way to change it back. I tried changing alignment to center, but that doesn't work. There's nothing in Callout Properties or dimension styles that I can see. Basically, I think I'm just screwed unless they fix this in the next maintenance pack.

I'll include the draft file in this message. You can click on one of the vertical callouts and toggle parallel text on and off to see what I mean about point of rotation. 

I'm testing in ST6 and ST9 and see similar behavior???
The rotation seems to be about the anchor point of the leader (hidden)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

I would suggest documenting this the best you can and submit it to GTAC as a regression since it sounds like this was a very common workflow for you that now responds differently...

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Creator
Creator

So strange. I've been using this workflow for years, since ST4 I believe, with no issues until now. Oh well, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Phenom
Phenom

Has your default text settings changed at all relative to the annotation or text?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@tonycarnero,

I don't recall ever being able to place the text at it's center point, in this context......I have always eyeballed the bend line info to where it looks centered.

If there is such an option, I'd sure like to have at it!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10