ST9 - Problems with Design Manager

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I'm working with Design Manager and running into problems:

1.  When I try to right click a draft file and select "open in design manager" it fails and I get a message - "there was a problem sending the command to the program:

2.  What happend to the copy function?  I used it to copy draft files and swap in new models ,copy assembly files and swap in new models etc.

What is the correct work flow when I want to copy an assembly (or draft file) to a new name so I can swap out some parts? 

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
21 REPLIES

Re: ST9 - Problems with Design Manager

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"Save As" is the equivalent of "Copy".

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Ken,

Thanks for reply.

Any thoughts on why I get the error message when trying to launch Design Manager by right clicking?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I rebooted my computer, re-started ST9 and I'm still getting the error message when trying to launch Design Manager by right clicking on a file.

Kyle

Design Manager Error.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My first guess would be a problem with file associations. A *.cfg or any of the model file formats could be associated with other programs installed after SE. 

PLM World Member Phenom

IR 7809269

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

As a wild and long shot how long is the text string of the full path and the file name? I've seen issues like this were we exceeded the path+ filename string limits of Windows OS.

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Ryan,

It's happening on all files types.  Our draft files have pretty short file names - the part number and revision.  Assemblies can have longer names.  Our other user does not have the problems I'm having.  Paul Ford from GTAC suggested having the other user log into my machine to see if it's a user profile problem. We tried that, but still had the error message.  It seems to be isolated to my machine.  Strangely, I can run Design Manager and then open a file, but can't right click the file to launch Design Manager.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I just received an update from GTAC for the problem.  Here's the text:

Your recent call to the Technical Access Center, Incident Report (IR)Number 7809269 opened on 15-SEP-2016, has been researched by our GTACsoftware engineers who have determined that this problem requires resolution byour SOLID_EDGE development team.  This IR was converted into a problem report (PR) on 27-SEP-2016 and is now referenced as PR Number 7803803,  with a priority code of 1 Critical.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@kjoiner

I want to escalate this issue for you in CCB Thursday.  It has been reported 2-3 times, but it seems to be random and perhaps only happens on "slower machines" and "only the first time Design Manager is launched".

So I can present facts  on Thursday, can you provide your machine specs (especially RAM) and confirm if the problem goes away if you close and relaunch Design Manager?

Thanks,

Laura