I have tried numerous download managers, including downthemall (Firefox), DAP (chrome) and still cannot get ST9 Student version to completely load. I either get corrupt file, or I get it all the way to the startup wizzard, only to have it stop due to utillities failure right at end of process.
using Alienware 18, plenty of internet speed, and memory, no other processes running while downloading, also using Windows 7 ultimate.
Any help / advice is welcomed!
Thanks in advance
Solved! Go to Solution.
Found this in relation to Acrobat. Might help... If you have any previous Solid Edge installs including Viewer, uninstall them all. Then try ST9. If you have no previous SE installs, then start with the .NET repair.
Step 1: Remove all components or products of acrobat and then try installing.
Run windows installer cleanup utility tool to remove existing acrobat contents on the computer.
1. Download windows installer cleanup utility tool and install it.
2. Launch windows installer cleanup utility tool from the start menu.
3. Select Acrobat products from the list and remove it.
4. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
5. Download latest acrobar reader and install it successfully.
Step 2: If that does not resolve, then manually remove and reinstall .netframework.
I had the same issue. I found that using Microsoft Edge to install the program led to a complete download. For some reason Chrome and some other browsers conect to a server that has an incomplete file for downloading. Hope this helps!