Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ST9 Terminates on Startup

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

So, when you said in an earlier post "c) Clean folders and registry." what did you mean?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

After Solid Edge is uninstalled, there is often folder remaining in the "\Program Files\..." folder.  I delete all Solid Edge related folders.

The same goes for registry entires.

Both in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version... and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid EDge\Version...

If you have the installation files for the old version, you can browse the support tools and find the SECleanup application that will do this for you, if you are uncomfortable editing the registry yourself.

DVD\...\Solid Edge\SptTools\SECleanup

OK. I asked because your solution involved deleting "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version..." which I would have thought would have already occurred.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@bshand IIRC, when you specify an options.xml file on install, the options file is also copied into the Solid Edge preferences folder thereby making the deleting of registry keys to clear the options file setting ineffective -- Solid Edge will always default to use the local preferences options file in the absence of a specified location/file.

@uk_daveSorry for being dense but then why did clearing that reg key help make it possible to change the options file?

Bruce Shand

Gears Phenom

Many of the settings defined in the options.xml file are set as registry entries once you launch Solid Edge with the options file selected.

I could delete the options.xml file, but the settings that were causing the immediate termination were still resident within the registry.

In my specific case, I installed ST9 with the ST8 options.xml file.  When I tried to start Solid Edge the first time, those options were written to the registry, causing the termination error.  Even though I used the updated SEAdmin and created a new (ST9 compliant) options.xml file, the termination at startup error prevented me from directing Solid Edge to use the new options.xml file.

I could have narrowed down the one or few actual settings that caused the error and removed those, but deleting the entire registry key was easier.

OK. I think I understand now. The reason this interests me is that we have an apparently random event on just two out of 8 workstations where SE opens with an error: Cannot Create Folder. Then SE can only be killed with task manager. The solution is to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\. Then restart SE and set the options.xml to our server based one, etc. Then SE is fine for a while. So GTAC and I are trying to nail it down.

Bruce Shand
Highlighted

Gears Phenom

I had this issue when I was trying to first install ST9. It was my antivirus. And it was unbelievably hard to get it to stop interfering, our IT guys went so far as to uninstall it, but it kept reinstalling itself. Took 2 days to get the issue resolved and get ST9 up and running. So check on that. I had Eset.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38, Which issue are you referring to? Mine or the original one by @swertel.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Today I´m in the same proble. DFT toolbars are gone. If I log with a different user everything is fine. After startup If I open a dft and I try to close it, SE crashes. 

I´m running ST9 MP4

UPDATE:

I have rebooted several times with no luck, but now I was going to make an screencapture to show you the problem and everything is fine again.