ST9 Terminates on Startup

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I just installed ST9.  When I launch the program, I get the splash screen and then nothing.

The Task Manager doesn't show any sign of the Edge.exe process running.  Reboots, maintenance pack installs, installation repairs don't fix the issue.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall, but I was wondering if anyone else had a quicker fix.

Re: ST9 Terminates on Startup

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

Now, I would think there is not very much, many of us, could offer, over what a man of your calibre has tried already.......rotten luck all the same.

Seems kind of silly to say, as I have never had to do it......but, have you temporarily disabled your anti-virus software?

Something else......I have always made sure the base install is up and running, prior to applying any update patches.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Phenom

1) IT changed access so I can't temporarily turn antivirus off for install.  I honestly think that may be the problem.

2) Install steps:

a) Uninstall old version.

b) Reboot.

c) Clean folders and registry.

d) Install new version.

e) Start new version.

f) Close new version.

g) Install MP.

h) Configure settings.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Scott,

check GPU driver. I had several times the same issue with Solid Edge (also NX) an old gpu driver terminated application startup without  error message... 

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Do you have CAMWorks or any other add-ins installed?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you had another user log into that PC and be able to start SE successfully?

I've seen that issue happen before but only for a specific user while all other users on the same PC worked fine.  Deleting the user's Windows profile corrected the issue.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Also try manaully setting the backing store in the registry before starting Solid Edge.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 
109\PrefSets\Options-View]
"AutoConfigure"=hex:06,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
"BackingStore"=hex:02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

PLM World Member Phenom

For those of you interested in my troubleshooting.

1) I have a new computer on order.  I should be getting it in a week or 2, so these issues will resolve themselves.  I could just go back to ST8, which is what we're still using for production, but I can't pass up this challenge.

2) I installed the latest nVidia drivers for my Quadro 2000, running on Dell Optiplex 7010.  The good news is that the new computer will be custom built with

Intel i7-7700K (4.2 GHz)

Quadro M5000

32Gb Corsair Vengence RAM

Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD

so I'm not too concerned that the update to the driver didn't resolve the issue or that my office-app-quality Optiplex is too slow to be efficient.

3) I had my coworker log into my computer and ST9 does startup, but with errors.  The errors are regarding the themes.  Interestingly enough, I had a similar problem with themes with my personal license of ST9 (using the cloud-license, by the way) at home.  I was creating themes based on customizations I was making to the Quick Access Toolbar, all the way until I couldn't use SE anymore.  The difference, though, was that it only crashed in the environments that I had a customized theme that was corrupt.  In this case, drawings acted weird but all part and assemblies were fine.

Since I could still get into Solid Edge, I was able to troubleshoot that as the problem and I deleted the bad theme.  Problem solved, but I still don't have a customized QAB for the draft environment.

I'm going to pursue any themes for my Windows profile that may exist for Solid Edge and see if I can figure out what might be corrupt.  Seems odd that a fresh install has bad themes.

PLM World Member Phenom

Options.xml file

During installation of ST9, I was updating our installation instructions and taking screenshots of the dialog boxes.  In the box to insert user name, company, and license file, you can also select the options.xml and custom.xml files.  Since I didn't use SEAdmin.exe yet to create the ST9 options.xml file, I copied the ST8 version for use in the screen capture.  Once you select the file in the installation dialog box, you can't undo it short of canceling the installation and starting over.

The ST8 Options.xml file is not compatible with ST9!

I deleted the Solid Edge key from the registry in the current user (which is why the other user could login and startup Solid Edge without terminating).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 109

I could probably narrow it down to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 109\Global

but I deleted the whole Version 109 key.

Solid Edge starts up fine, now.  I was able to update the SE Options to point to the ST9 Options.xml file now that I had the opportunity to create one with the proper SEAdmin.exe, and Solid Edge still starts up fine.

Problem solved.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Excellent info @swertel, thanks for sharing that.....glad you're up and running again dude.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10