ST9: Var. table: copy link

I try to copy a link from my variable table of an assambly but this is grey.

Could it be this is disabled due to an "Alternate assembly"?

kd1xroh

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user
9 REPLIES

Re: ST9: Var. table: copy link

There is no way to use a variable within a single table of a cell.

The only way to display variable is either line by line (like a parts list, same varaible per part), or to use annotation as the display of variables.

Long ago (ST6) I tried to work around using excel, but could not find away to get excel to update from draft & model files. Excel will auto update to draft, but not from.

HUGE shortcomming of solid edge. I had been resorting to lines of annotation and editing spaces to line things up. I feel like I'm back in AutoCAD 10 when I do this.

[ Edited ]

@Joris  I don't know if it works with alternate assembly or not but do you have this set?

From help:

• Before you can link a variable to a spreadsheet, you must set the Allow Inter-Part Links Using: Paste Link to Variable Table option on the Solid Edge Options dialog box. This option is on the Inter-Part tab.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I don't try to link to an external spreadsheet, just to an other assembly.

So "copy link" from asm1 to "paste link" in asm2.

...........................................................................................................

It also applies to linking variable tables between parts/assys.

Bruce Shand

I use this very much, it was the first time I couldn't.

That's why I think it has something to do with alternate assembly's.

Probably so.

Bruce Shand

@12GAGE It is possible to embed a link in Excel from a Solid Edge variable. Linking and embedding is feature of MS Windows.
@Joris It is not possible to use alternate assemblies as source of variable links.
regards

JB
VS2015, SE ST10

Thanks for your answer.

It's about time alternate assemblies gets developed completely...

I know it is possible to link to and from excel. But I have never been able to do that in a way it updates round trip from a file to excel to draft.

Gettin excel to control a model works wells.

Getting SE to update excel is where I have not been able to get the updates to happen easy.