ST9 - Write access request of a released status file doesn't work anymore

Phenom
Phenom

I just installed the ST9 (moving from ST8) and I just found something that don't work as before.

When I open a released status file there is the option to "Write access request" that is always denied by default.

I need write access to correct that small errors that doesn't need a document revision, a misspelled word for example or just to better position some dimensions (you draftman knwo what I mean).

read only assistant.png

Up to ST8 there where a debug registry key for that purpose (DOCMGMT_OVERRIDESTATUSCHECKFORFILEACCESS) that when set to 1 would let me have write access by pressing the "Write access request" button. In fact without that regkey the option wouldn't be present at all in the "Read only assistant".

Now the option is there but clicking it nothing happen due to the fact that the file is in released status.

If I use the same regkey when I open a released file I have the write access right away.

So, is there a new option to do what I was doing before ?

Please do not answer that I have to revise the document because in REAL WORLD missppell happens.

Thanks

9 REPLIES

Re: ST9 - Write access request of a released status file doesn't work anymore

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

How are you managing files? Specifically how did the file get released status in the first place?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

bshand wrote:

How are you managing files? Specifically how did the file get released status in the first place?

Manually by file properties status page.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Try out "StatusChanger" found on this page:

http://barhamsoftware.com/SE_Tools/index.htm

@Tushar recently suggested another tool but I forget exactly where it is.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

bshand wrote:

Try out "StatusChanger" found on this page:

http://barhamsoftware.com/SE_Tools/index.htm

@Tushar recently suggested another tool but I forget exactly where it is.

I don't want to change the file status, I need temporary write access as the seek write access dialog did work up to ST8.

I know how to change the file status but you need to close the file to do it that is not an acceptable solution.

There is a button "request write access" and I want it to work.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Fiorini  Ok, sorry. I don't know how to help.

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

Whenever I change the value of the key DOCMGMT_OVERRIDESTATUSCHECKFORFILEACCESS, I close and reopen Solid Edge before I have write access to the file.

Phenom
Phenom

Brianw wrote:

Whenever I change the value of the key DOCMGMT_OVERRIDESTATUSCHECKFORFILEACCESS, I close and reopen Solid Edge before I have write access to the file.

You set it to 1 and the released files are always available to write access without the need to press "Allow write request" in the "Read only assistant". This is not acceptable due to the fact you may modify a release file.

In ST8 setting that registry to 1 would make possible to make a released file write accessible on the fly.

Since the new "Management" tab this is no longer possible.

I want to ask, what should I do to gain write access to a released file ? I am the administrator of this rules and really need a smart solution. (as it was up to ST8)

Thanks

Legend
Legend

Quick and dirty? Save the file with a new name, e.g. "temp.dft" and the save it with the old name.

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

Phenom
Phenom

ckunkel72 wrote:

Quick and dirty? Save the file with a new name, e.g. "temp.dft" and the save it with the old name.

Thats not quick, and I repeat I do not need to change the Released status I do need temporary write access to the file on the fly.

The ST8 behaviour was perfect and there where no "Management", ST9 have the new "Management" abilities that is a step back compared to ST8.

This is what irritate me