ST9 graphics performance vs. NX

Just wondering; manipulating the same model is blisteringly fast and beautiful on NX - and rather slow and clunky on Solid Edge (ST9). Same machine, same display & driver. I've tweaked ST9 view performance as much as possible, but it still sucks. NX CAM was superb out of the box. What gives? Do the 2 systems use different graphics engines or is there a price point being driven here? 

Harri

30 REPLIES

Re: ST9 graphics performance vs. NX

That's a good question.  I would be interested in hearing the answer too.

Aside from that, SE depends on a text file that controlls the automatic graphics setting based on what the system identifies the graphics card as.  If it is not in the list, then SE will revert to some generic settings based on product line/vendor, and if that can't be detected, then it goes even more generic.

You can override the auto setting in the Options on the upper right of the "View" page.  "Graphics card driven (Advanced)" is the optimum setting if using a Quadro or Fire card with a current driver...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Yep, already tweaked the settings. Advanced/ Graphic card driven seems best, the other options are abysmal.

Harri

We do apples to apples testing with many systems and Solid Edge is generally the fastest of the lot. Though to be fair, if you are over 30 hz it doesn't matter if one is 45hz and one is 60hz, it all looks the same. Doesn't sound like that is what you are seeing however.

There can be specific issues however, if you import models with lots of style overrides per face etc. So we'd really have to look at your data. Where did your data originate? And how did it get into Solid Edge (or NX)?

Obviously posting the data would be most helpful.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Thank you for your reply Dan. I'll try to find something I can post.

It might be system-specific, however, NX is as responsive and snappy as I could ever hope for. In contrast, (my) SE is slow overall, be it sketching, view manipulation or general responsiveness. It would be great to find a solution, apart from this perceived lack of speed I absolutely love the product.

Harri

While you are finding some data, in your testing where graphics rotation speed differs significantly, where did the data come from. Native SE? Native NX? Something else?

PS> On laggy sketching, we have identified a bug in ST9 that is affecting this and will be resolved shortly.

Dan Staples

While you are finding some data, in your testing where graphics rotation speed differs significantly, where did the data come from. Native SE? Native NX? Something else?

PS> On laggy sketching, we have identified a bug in ST9 that is affecting this and will be resolved shortly.

Dan Staples

Not at the computer at the moment, but I think they are mostly imports (stp or Solidworks) that have gone through SE. At the moment I'm exporting from SE as Parasolid, because NX is still at version 10. Stupid - I know Smiley Wink

I'll give better detail and some samples after I've properly nailed the issue.

Harri

Dan,

I have a silly question. When you say "if you are over 30 hz it doesn't matter if one is 45hz and one is 60hz, it all looks the same," are you referring to the monitor refresh rate? Are you saying that if a user has a 30 hz monitor he may be blaming Solid Edge for perceived slow graphics performance when it really might be the slow refresh rate of the monitor?

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

NX 11 is now profiting from Synchronous Technology, it means that the Solid Edge developement team is working for NX too! And I don't know of Solid Edge will get some Software performance from NX too or is it a one way precess!?!

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/fr_fr/products/nx/11/index.shtml#lightview%26url=/fr_fr/Images...

NX11_ST.jpg