ST9 on iMac?

Has anyone got ST9 running on an iMac 27"? I've been offered a 2-yr old machine. I know I should test it but it doesn't have Windows on it at the moment.

5 REPLIES

Re: ST9 on iMac?

A few years ago the boss wanted to buy all iMacs. I asked around and blocked the puchase.

AutoCAD exists for mac but is a cripple version. SE is (was?) only possible on windows, so we needed to install windows on a mac.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

[ Edited ]

Still is the case as far as I know.

Also SE has an lot of windows stuff intergrated (excel & 3D printing). So going to mac is almost an no-go.

[ Edited ]

I have a 27" iMac, late 2013 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics. I installed Solid Edge ST8 via Boot Camp. It will run but I had some crash on exit issues that GTAC said were related to the graphics driver. The graphics drivers Apple provides are pretty old and they don't update them very often. I tried to manually install a newer NVIDIA graphics driver but it didn't fix the problem. I also tried to run Solid Edge via Parallels but had some weird graphics issues because Parallels runs an older OpenGL version. Other than that, it is a really good computer with a great screen.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP3
Macbook Air, i7, Windows 10 via Boot Camp

Just found this in the Readme file, looks like we might be okay

Support for High-resolution Monitors

Solid Edge ST9 has improved support for bitmaps, controls, and other graphic elements displayed on high-resolution monitors (monitors with resolution greater than 3500 pixels). Although high-resolution monitor support is available for both Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 10, Windows10 offers superior dots-per-inch (DPI) scaling capabilities.

When you use a monitor with DPI greater than 170 pixels, we recommend you adjust settings in two locations:

• Set the primary DPI scaling resolution for the entire desktop using the Microsoft Windows Control Panel.
  • Adjust the relative sizing of Solid Edge design tools on the Helpers tab in the Solid Edge Options dialog box.

To set the Windows screen resolution from the Windows 7 Start menu, go to:

1. Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display.
  2. In the left link pane, click Set custom text size (DPI).
  3. In the Custom DPI Setting dialog box, choose this:

Scale to this percentage of normal size=200%

The Control Panel location for setting DPI scaling is the same in Windows 10, but additional options are available.

Yes, my experience with ST9 is that it supports DPI scaling very well, however, TonyMaz started this thread with a question about running ST8 on a 27" iMac. My experience running ST8 on a late 2013 27" iMac was that I had some graphics glitches. These glitches had nothing to do with DPI scaling (my iMac has a lower res 109 DPI display) but with the Boot Camp NVIDIA graphics drivers. I have not had any expereince with newer iMac models.

I will say, having had Macs ever since Apple started supporting Windows, that I have had pretty good luck running Windows CAD applications under Boot Camp such as AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, and Geomagic Design. That said, Macs are not really optimized to run Windows and, if you do have issues, your are not going to get much support from Apple.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP3
Macbook Air, i7, Windows 10 via Boot Camp