Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST9 part name as variable

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm building a library with a range of threaded inserts on it.

It is a part with several drawings inside of it, every threaded insert has a suppression variable that is linked to a table as a regulable parts, so when I put the part in an assembly, SE ask for the size of the threaded insert (diameter, thickness of the sheet metal etc) and after the input of all the values, I have the part with proper diameter and size inserted on my assembly.

My problem is that the part has always the same name, that is the filename of the .par file, is it possible to change it on the pathfinder three and link it to a variable that is linked to the insert size etc?

I hope I had explained well my problem...thanks for answering!

6 REPLIES

Betreff: ST9 part name as variable

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Davide_Parolin

not understanding Your request totally, but for me it sounds as it is a task for a FOP.

Familiy Of Parts

I would suggest to use this, so You will have the opportunity to expose every familiy member to a single but associated part with an unique part name and document number.

IMHO this will be very imported for later usage and workflow processes.

At least it is worth to try!

regards
Wolfgang

ST9 part name as variable

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion!

I give a look onto FOP but there's something I don't understood.

Do I have to draw avery single part, group all the feature in a single name and suppress/activate it, or do I have to build my part with a parameter for each dimension?

How do I put that FOP into my assembly? I tried to bild a FOP with two parts on it but once I had inserted it in the assembly, it seemed it dind't work...

Any suggestion?

Thanks and regards

Re: ST9 part name as variable

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

In a nut shell, what you want to do can't be done. 

The only thing that helps is that the file name is an available variable that can be displayed. But the other direction is not possible.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks 12GAGEfor the quick answer,

some time ago I was an autodesk Inventor user, and with iParts I could do the things that I asked before, so I thought that he same could be done with Solid Edge.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The concept of spart part numbering is just not available in SE. FOP and FOA is very cumbersome and unweildy. There is not way to have the drafting or variables edit the file name. 

The only thing I have been able to figure out that comes close is calling a variable length part a part name with dashed lengths. Then you can make a drawing for each dashed length by displaying the cut length (or whatever model length) in the Parts list and or the title block using a variable.

I really wish smart part numbering was avilable. And I have the wish for one step further where the variable name would be in part a function of the file name or part name.....then we could really get some numbering done automatically.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks 12GAGE for the thorough answer.

I hope in the next release of Solid Edge they will put this thing also.

regards