ST9 running extremely slow on new hardware

Creator
Creator

I've been running ST7 for a while now on my computer, running very well. I got a new SSD, another 32 gigs of ram and a GTX 1080 so I decided to install windows 10 professional from scratch and install ST9 (student) 

Even though the computer runs much faster in pretty much every other aspect, solid edge is unbearably slow. My guess is that it is using the processor graphics ? I don't know, but it's so slow I can't use it. Rotating, selecting, moving, zooming... its so bad. 

Im running the latest drivers for everything. 

Thanks for you help,

Carlos

16 REPLIES

Re: ST9 running extremely slow on new hardware

Creator
Creator

Conducted more experiments and turns out Solid Edge is not using my GTX 1080, the card stays pretty much inactive while I use Solid Edge, Is there a way to fix this ?

SeanCresswell 2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Hi there @cpendas,

The system, for the most part, sounds perfect for CAD use......all up untill the graphics card.

Solid Edge is looking for very specific driver coding to display it's content, and while the hardware of the GTX1080 is good, the drivers don't lend themselves to this in the best way. [specific to 3D CAD & it requiring OpenGL based "cards / drivers"]

The best way forward, in my opinion, would be to upgrade to a Quadro card, that is designed [and certified] to run these sort of professional applications.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

You know, even though that might be true, it's not acceptable as a solution. 

My school's pc runs on GTX 1080 and I just tested, Solidworks, NX, Inventorand Catia all run beautifully on this hardware. 

Solid Edge ST8 ran great on my old 660Ti 

There's less and less reasons to use Quadro cards now a days, unless you need the extra memory. I don't want it to run at 100% efficiency, but the fact that my graphics card is not even being used and that every other CAD software is taking advantage of the GTX points to a Solid Edge issue, IMHO. 

Creator
Creator

This fixed the issue for me, for anyone who might face the same issue:

Solid Edge Options > View window. Look for Application display in the upper right hand corner. The default may be Automatic Selection and Graphics card driven (advanced). If this is the case uncheck Automatic selection and select Graphics card driven. There are several other options to try. Note that to see these options you need to have a part file open in Solid Edge.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you.  This fixed the issue for me too.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem installing Solid Edge ST9 on Windows 10, with an AMD R7 450 graphics card, and cpendas solution worked. 

What surprises me is that Software Rendering seems to be the default option when installing ST9. I would expect the vast majority of Solid Edge users to have dedicated graphics hardware. Maybe software rendering is the "safe" option to show that Solid Edge is working, before the user tries the graphics card. Still, I'm surprised there is no Solid Edge advice to show how to change this setting upon first starting the software, because it gives a poor impression of Solid Edge the first time you start it on a computer you know to be capable for CAD work.

Keywords for users searching for the same problem (because I didn't find this thread until after I had solved it myself): slow graphics, low frame-rate, jerky graphics, juddery graphics, low fps, graphics not smooth, poor graphics performance

SeanCresswell 2nd Gear
2nd Gear

@MechtEngineer,

I think you'd normally find, that setup defaults to use "Automatic Selection", whereby it "attempts" to make the best of what graphics hardware there is available, and if good enough is present, then that would go to "Graphics Card Driven [Advanced]".....and I for one, wouldn't count on the AMD R7 450 as suitable card for anything business/performance related, in the mechanical 3D CAD world, hence that card didn't get offered the better settings by default.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@SeanCresswell, thanks for your help over a number of years on this forum. 

I understand that the AMD R7 450 isn't a recommended CAD graphics card, but that's a different issue. Thankyou for clarifying my question! My question is really "Why default to an integrated graphics chip, when an obviously better dedicated graphics card is available?" (My integrated graphics is an Intel HD Graphics 630 on an i7-7700).

Getting back to the AMD R7 450 issue - not everyone in engineering builds large assemblies or complex parts that require powerful graphics cards. As a professional Mechatronics Engineer, I had assemblies in ST7 of around 40 parts that ran very smoothly on a standard office Windows 7 desktop with first generation i7 with a 512 MB AMD HD 4550 (I have only just upgraded). I wanted better computer hardware, but I didn't really need it! That's one factor that continually impresses me about Solid Edge though (and why our company keeps buying licenses) - it is quite useable with small assemblies with standard office (mid-range) hardware.

Phenom
Phenom

This whole debate is why most CAD vendors will only certify specific OEM hardware configurations. There is no feasible way to test performance of the available hardware configurations along with the driver versions. Stick to certified configurations.

Yes, you can configure cheaper workstations, but if you start adding up your own time and billing yourself at around $85 usd per hour of time you might find that buying certified hardware is a better investment! ?Your research cost more than the difference in certified vs custom.

It is my understand that pcs with dual GPUs (integrated and dedicated single card) the user needs to assign a gpu usually using the graphics card driver. You can't rely on any software to determine which gpu takes presidents. I run Surface Pro 3 and Surface Book w/dedicated graphics, you need to go into the nvdia driver and tell it to use dedicated gpu. This applies to NX, SE and the visualization tools.