STEP Files Translation Problems

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am trying to translate a STEP file into an .asm and get the following error message:

Capture.JPG

Any ideas? I've have been able to translate STEP files successfully in the recent past.

Thanks,

Peter

7 REPLIES

Re: STEP Files Translation Problems

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Make sure that the location the STEP file you are trying to open is writeable and has suficient space.  The translator needs to write files to that location and if it can't, you get that response.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks, Ken - I checked those things but the location is writable and has plenty of space.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think you can also override the default output folder so you might check that if you haven't.  Aside from that, I have no idea.

Thanks,
Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ken,

I think I've got this one solved. The files I was trying to translate were downloaded from the Internet to my Downloads folder. When checking the properties on the Downloads folder I noticed the Read-only (Only applies to to files in folder) box was filled in, not checked. I cleared the box, saved the file to my desktop and was able to translate the files successfully. Thanks for your assistance.

Peter

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Glad you got it worked out!

Thanks,
Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ken,

I downloaded some more files today and ran into the same issue. Interestingly, I was able to translate the file as a part but got the same error message if I tried to translate it as an assembly.

Peter

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yea, I don't believe Part has to write out files during the translation.

Thanks,
Ken