just seen again, taht with ST9 (and confirmed with ST8 too) the import (opening) of a Step file into SE takes extremely long.
We have seen a Step file with a size of 14 MB (not more) containing an assembly with a couple of parts take over 10-15 minutes whereelse the same step file is opened in Inventor in less than a minute.
Saving this Inventor file as parasolid and importing that one happens also very fast (half a minute) in SE then.
Has anybody any idea about "how to speed up that process?"
PS.: every option which could make the import worse is turned OFF
(stitch, body chekc, boolean, etc.)
Could it be where the STEP file is located? I know SE writes files as it translates to where the STEP file is located so if you use a read only or slow writeable device...
I haven't looked into this but I've not had any of our users reporting this issue but we don't do a lot of STEP imports.
sorry to forgot this info.
No we tested it on different computers and file location was on a fast SSD drive with enough free space.
And I think there is/was no big difference to the file server network location.
After starting the translation process, there is a short time of "SE thinking" followed by the complete green progress bar and then SE waits, and waits and waits and nothing happens.
As mentioned a 14 MB step file seems not to be to big for a fast translation task, what will be done by Inventor under one minute.
It is hard to argument here, why to take SE.
It will be no good story to say: " Don't care to much about translation time, afterwards with Sync You will be 100 times faster!"
I import step files quite often and haven't noticed it being slow. In fact I just found and opened a 16.5mb step file (all actions turned on) and it took only about a minute or less.
thanks for a positive answer, since I also thought the tarnslation normally isn't so bad.
But in the last time it seems to happen more often that this imnport process gets slowier and slowier.
I see that You also are running ST9 MP8 and Win10
This was the next idea I had regarding that issue, but again, seems not to be so.
Of course it is possible that it has to do with that certain file (before asking, no I can not upload it here, You know, ....) but it is astonishing that another mid range software is able to do the same job in less than a tenth of that time, where we in SE cann't do so.
Maybe it has to do with the new Step Translator in SE.
I should check, wether or not I can set it back to the old one.
I think there is a registry hack to do so.
I just changed back the STep import to the old translaotr and, surprise, it did the job in approx. 1 minute.
So, it seems that the new translator has some problems with the import and opening of Steps
@bshand You need to edit the registry to switch to the old one, so disclaimer here about changing at your own risk, making your PC unusable, reinstalling applications, etc...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 109\DEBUG
Set "UseLegacySTEPTranslator" to "1".