STEP model becomes surfaces

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

From time to time we get step files from customers or clients. If we want to use them in our assemblies, we save them as a SOLID EDGE part or assembly. After the conversion, only surfaces remain. Is it possible to have a solid instead?

If we use the surface models in our drawing, some extra, unwanted actions are needed to properly display the component - we want to avoid that.

BR, Johan

9 REPLIES

Re: STEP model becomes surfaces

Phenom
Phenom

Have a look at your import options - make sure you have the stitch option selected.

If you don't get solids with this set, then there could be a problem with the data being imported.

You could also try changing the stitch tolerance value.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom
Johan, it depends on the step file. If it is a valid Body, or faces that SE can stitch together to make a body then you're in luck. If it's just a collection of non-manifold surfaces then SE can only treat them as constructions.

Just make sure that if you do have bodies, that they're design bodies and therefore show in drafts by default, and not construction bodies which don't. It's easy to toggle them between the two states.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thx,

We can choose between Heal&Stich & Stitch Surface, but none of them result in a solid body.

Is there a setting to make the stich gap wider (more tolerance)?

Phenom
Phenom

I was sure there was a tolerance setting, but I can't see it anywhere.

Have you tried the 'use beta step translator' option ?

Other than that, its what @Alex_H said - if the surfaces don't match up then they won't stitch together.

What system have the step files come from ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

have You tried to heal the suraces after import using the healing function?

There - as I remember - the tolerance could be defined.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@beachcomber I think the tolerance setting you remember is under the manual stitch command in the surfacing tools.

Phenom
Phenom

@Alex_H

Yes, I think you are correct.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Johan,

Do you have an example problematic STEP file you could share?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

I have had files like that. Sometimes the best thing is to ask for new exports from the supplier of the file while also letting them know what the problems are you are having with the file. If schedule does not let you do this, sometimes re-modeling using the existing surfaces as dimension reference is the way to go. But then you are spending your time vs. just getting the right file.