SYNC "NORMAL TO CURVE"

Legend
Legend

Excuse what may be a simple question here..  But what the quickest way in SYNC (st8) to place a "normal cut" that "normal to a curve" ?  I have many simple flat sheet metal parts that need partial cutouts from intersecting tubes. All the tubes have a .001 slit running it's full length that i use to orient the cut.  Right now i draw the entire tab in sync, switch to ordered to place the cuts, move them to sync then switch back to sync.  

-Craig
6 REPLIES

Re: SYNC "NORMAL TO CURVE"

Phenom
Phenom

Craig,

Place the Tube in the Assembly with all the Tabs. The use the Bolean "Subtract command" to use the Tabs as cutting tools.

Obviously you can CUT the Tabs using the Tube as well. This is one of my favorite commands.

Watch here: http://screencast.com/t/zeTy0LDNE

Bob

Legend
Legend

Bob, the subtract leaves a non "normal to surface cut. (I'm also cutting the parts not the tube, but same process) Parts will be lasered and need all cuts normal to surface.

Here's a few photos shoing the small fixture and the tube assembly that its for .

-Craig

Legend
Legend
Why can't we have a "subtract" that has an option to leave edges "normal to cut" ??
-Craig

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Craig

If I have understood the problem correctly:

In sync, remove material as Bob suggested with boolean, then use Project to Sketch and select the two edges, trim the two innermost sketches, delete the cut out, then recut.

Not sure it is any diffent to what you are alreay doing in ordered though.

See vid.

Roger

(view in My Videos)

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

There are some ways for this, but it depends on end of the tube.

Here is a video about steps:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Legend
Legend

ok, after some stumbling around..

1- crete new place "normal to surve" for me I'm selecting the slit in the tube.

2-draw circle same as tube diameter and concetrically locate it to tube od

3-create cutout..

Not sure why i couldn't realize i needed to create a plane normal to curve..Lol

-Craig