Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Generative Design

Experimenter
Experimenter
I have been able to generate a design with the Generative Design function and it is listed as "Part Copy 1" in the Ordered tree.

However, when I try and put it into an assembly or save it as an stl it looks exactly as it was before the Generative Design was run.

How do I save the par file such that assemblies and stl's display the Generative Design and not the original object?

Thank you in advance.
10 REPLIES

Re: Save Generative Design

Genius
Genius
if you are running the "academic" version that comes with the standard install of Solid edge you will not be able to "detach" and use as a design body. it will only show up as a construction body. however you can still display your construction body in your assembly by going to the middle of assembly or pick the par files you did the study on and right click. Go to show/hide. turn off the design body and and turn on the surfaces. If you need to detach the study body and make it a design body a professional license is needed. An easy way to tell which license you have is look to see if the "manufacturing setting" and "show stress" buttons are grayed out or selectable while you can't save out as an stl file you can export the "construction" body as a Parasolid and open it back up in Solid edge. This does work. I just tested. Hopefully this helps.
Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply and yes it seems I am using the academic version.

Genius
Genius

(view in My Videos)
additionally i just tested on a workstation with the academic or standard license. Generate the study and turn on the construction body from the study and export as a parasolid. go the options and check the boxes for the "construction body" and this will work. This will be a nice way around having to upgrade the license.

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

Experimenter
Experimenter

I don't have a construction body.

Genius
Genius

I apologize. I had the study created in a professional. I must have detached unknowingly. I just created a new study in an academic and no i can not export the study body out. Sorry to lead you down the wrong path.  The assembly file came from a free Generative study class Dan Staples posted about.  It is a good class to learn about Generative Design.

However you can still display in your assembly the results of your study.

Thanks again

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

That is correct. In Foundation, you get no Generative at all. In Classic/Premium/Academic you get "visualization only". You must buy a Generative Pro license to output the results directly to manufacturing.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@dcstaples  And does "Pro" give you additional load/contraint types as well?

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@KennyG, I'm not Dan, but yes it does.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, it provides more constraint types, ability to visualize stress gradients, and ability to "use the model directly". I should comment briefly also on the last one. In addition to being able to print it to STL, it becomes a full fledged Solid Edge body. Even though it is a triangle mesh, you can do feature operations on it, thanks to new Convergent Technology. So you could for example, cut it in half and then mirror boolean if you wanted an exactly symmetric part. Or you could add a hole after the fact or whatever. This is what Next Generation design is all about.

I should also note that with the upcoming Solid Edge release this summer, we will move the bar even farther forward on Generative. But the advancements will be primarily in Generative Design Pro, as you already get a boatload of capability "for free" with the Generative in Classic/Premium. So if you get onboard now with Generative Design Pro, it only get's better from here....

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development