Save as 3D pdf -- can this be done in Landscape rather than the default Portrait?

I like the functionality in Solid Edge to directly save a model out as 3D Adobe Acrobat pdf format.  However for some godforsaken reason the programmer responsible must have been influenced by his secretary and decided that the 3D pdf should be saved in Portrait format.  When was the last time anybody viewed any CAD file with their screen rotated into portrait mode?  OK, flag pole designers may be the exception, but for the rest of us we have these nice wide screens and the 3D pdf opens up in a tall skinny view so you may as well be using a 9 inch monitor!  I have hunted around through all the Solid Edge Options and also in the Registry but cannot find any way to save a 3D pdf in Landscape format.  Is it even possible?  Sure I could use a 3rd party program but that is not the point here.  Is it possible to save out a 3D pdf in any format other than Portrait in Solid Edge or are we stuck with Portrait?

10 REPLIES

Re: Save as 3D pdf -- can this be done in Landscape rather than the default Portrait?

I had the same reaction.

I have clients that need either a 3D pdf or a SketchUP model or both, I ended up going with a SimLab addin so that I had more control of the 3d pdf's and it gave me the ability to export .skp files for SketchUp. Two things, sorry to say, that SE lacked.

Re: Save as 3D pdf -- can this be done in Landscape rather than the default Portrait?

I totally agree Chris,

Would love to see this orientaion selection added to the "options" dialogue. Even if I do design some things very like a flag pole, from time to time....for the most part landscape version of 3D PDF would be desirable.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

An ER has now been raised to cover adding additional functionality to control the orientation of the 3D pdf (i.e. choose between landscape, portrait, custom/other).  The ER number is 7357778.  Feel free to tag on to it to give it a bit of momentum.

[ Edited ]

Is this actually a solid edge or a viewer problem.  I tend to view in floating window then resize to whatever i need. 

Comes up sqaure not portrait anyway page size is 211.7 x 211.7mm as STD on my screen. 

We use 3D PDF quite a lot and never had this issue.

ST8 MP11 / ST9 MP02

Never knew about this issue so just got curious and found that it is indeed square, 8.33 in. x 8.33 in. consistently.

As it is produced by Solid Edge it is a Solid Edge problem.  I stand corrected it is square.  However my point still stands -- it would be nice to be able to create the 3D pdf in a more user-friendly format where it takes advantage of the landscape-shaped screens that have become prevalent since the late 20th century.

We could solve this ony with this with a third party solution.

There is more than just the size of the paper that matters:

- create custom layout with my own company logo - so anybody knows where the PDF comes from also contact details, Trademarks and copyright information

- Add comments to the PDF in the creation process - What should be done with the PDF

- automatically combine the 2D-Drawing and the linked 3D-Modell in a single PDF - gives a better overview about the project

- encryption of the PDF - secure my IP

See some samples here!

Videos on YouTube here and here!

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

I also use a third part app for producing 3D PDF from Solid Edge native files. 

My only problem is when importing assemblies with frames (importing the SE file brings the 'primitive' frame objects, rather than the final frame design).  But on this specific case, I just import the 3D PDF from SE into the app, then re-export it. Fortunately I have this option in Simlab. Works perfectly.

Speaking on 3D PDF export settings, would be cool to have something like that (attached). Maybe this is from an universal API that Adobe distributes to developers (?).

In the end, the user just need to open the PDF and the rotation, lights, color and everything else is ready-to-run, as @Stefan_Mitsch described too (Btw, nice job there Stefan).

BR

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8

Yeah I'm also using Simlab composer for this reason.

And for the price you pay for this product you get some very powerful functions.

But for some reason they don't support SE anymore. ST6 is the last supported release.

They don't have enough SE clients I suppose.

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge STX user