Solved! Go to solution

Saved setting for parts list properties are lost when changing SE versions

Hello,

Maybe this should go in the pet peeves thread, but I'm hoping to come up with a solution.  When I created parts lists, I change the headers, alignment etc. to match our standard format.  In ST5, I saved the setting as "STANDARD BOM".  When I loaded in ST6, that saved setting was gone.  It does't take a lot of time to re-create it, but it does take time and coupling that with all the other little things that must be tweaked when installing a new version can add up.

Where does SE keep the saved setting for the parts list?  Can it be saved off before installing a new version to avoid have to re-create it?  It would be nice to be able to set a path to store these things so they are easliy retrieved and managed.  We can do it with file templates, why not with all of the other settings?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author kjoiner
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Saved setting for parts list properties are lost when changing SE versions

Draft parts list settings are saved in draftlist.txt that can be found here:

C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Template\Reports

Make sure to save it out of your old version and just copy it back in when you install a new version.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Thanks Bob!

I'll copy those settings to another folder for safe keeping.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Hello, I'm using ST6

I have the same issue, a little background.

I made one set of templates with all the BOM saved settings on one computer and transferred the whole Template folder to another computer, then I set the path to the template folder in SE options (I only changed the User Templates path). Now it gives me the correct template with all the correct dimension styles and everything, but the saved BOM settings are gone. I checked the Template\Reports\draftlist.txt file and all the correct saved settings are in this file, but it just doesn't load it.

Do I have to specify another file location in SE options so it would load the BOM settings also?

(Why I'm changing the file locations on the other computer is, because SE is installed in Program Files and I have no access there, so I have to bring the templates folder out of Program files in case I need to change the files in the future).

Thanks

Hi,

You can define the path to the setting text file in options - file locations

There is an entry for reports (empty as default) where you can redirect the reports path to a network drive to give access for all users.

And, since it then is at a server disc You automatically will have all Your definitions when upgrade to the next SE version.

By the way, open an old draft with Your BOM open the props of it and save those settings to Your DaraftList.txt file.

There is no need for doing ths manually by Yourself

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks for the advice.

I changed the path in SE options for the Reports and it worked.

[ Edited ]

I'll post this list again because it comes up often. And there may be a few more with ST9 but I don't know yet. If anyone knows of more let me know, please.

Default settings: (under C:\Program Files\Solid Edge STX...)

Custom hole settings, view scales, etc. are saved in ...\preferences\custom.xml
Custom BOM styles are saved in ...template\reports\draftlist.txt
Custom balloon styles are saved in ...\tempate\reports\draftballoon.txt
Custom callouts are in ...\template\reports\draftcallout.txt
Custom weld symbols are in ...\template\reports\draftweld.txt
Templates are in ...\template
Materials are in ...\preferences\material.mtl

Ribbon themes:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 10x\Customization.

Global settings for SE to find most of these things via the file locations in SE options reside in \preferences\options.xml on a server or local machine according to how you are set up. Options.xml can be easily edited using SEAdmin.exe which needs to be added to the SE program folder from the DVD.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200