Saving Printer Preferences

I need to know if there is a way to save printer preferences.  In our Engineering Dept, we have one printer on the network that is shared between us all.  Anyone can print to it that is on the network, but mostly engineering uses it.  

Basically, we print our drawings on 11x17 to review and file (approved drawings are then PDFd and viewed on iPads in manufacturing area).  EVERYTIME I want to print a draft file, i have to manually go into the settings and change the paper size to 11x17 from letter.

I do not want to set the printer to default 11x17 size (other people use the printer too remember), just my default Solid Edge to do so. In SolidWorks, you can actually set up options at the drawing lever (per drawing) for what the print size of that drawing is (no matter if its A sheet, B sheet, A1, A2).  So anytime you open that specific drawing and print, it will always print 11x17. 

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments
7 REPLIES

Re: Saving Printer Preferences

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The best I've been able to come up with is to save profiles, quick sets, favorites - whatever the name which seems to vary with every driver and if the driver offers this feature. Then you only need to select properties and profile - two clicks instead of 3, 4 or 5 whatever the case may be.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

This has been an annoyance for us too, we have 2 different printers, 8.5x11, 11x17 and a big plotter for 24x36. We also PDF the dft files for release to the shop which again changes all the settings around. I have yet to find any real solution that works as the 2 paper plotters have no saveable settings, they default back every time to 8.5x11 color when we only do drawings in black and white.

Well I used to do just that very option with "Profiles".

BUT the IT Department upgraded to a different server the printer was on, and it changed my printer dialogue box to a different one that doesnt have the Printer Shortcuts with the Profiles.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Just a WAG here: Go to "devices and printers", click on the printer, printer preferences and see if you can save profiles there. Probably not but...

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

It has been a long time (pre-ST), but I seem to recall that SE was changed at some point to remember the paper size used for printing. So if you select a paper size, print, and then save the drawing, SE remembers this setting the next time the drawing is opened. 

This has caused me grief at times because someone else might open an 11 x 17 drawing and print it to 8.5 x 11. Then I open it and print it expecting to get it on 11 x 17 and instead getting an 8.5 x 11. I have my primary printer set to default to 11 x 17 so it is always a surprise to me when this happens.

I don't think SE remembers a printer, but I am fairly sure it remembers the paper size.

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think you're correct. At least according to a test I just did.

Bruce Shand

That doesnt happen for me.  It ALWAYS defaults 8 1/2 x 11