Saving preferences and options in ST8

Just switched several machines to Windows 10 and ST8 this morning and trying to get them setup has been a challenge. Does any one know of a way to set one machine up as far as the startup screen , the list of standard templates, where you can go edit the list and have your user templates show up, and then save that to all the other machines?  I don't think this is under themes. I was hoping there was an eaiser way.

Also we use the adminstrator options and I would have thought there was a way to disable FaceBook in it but I don't see a way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Leonard

11 REPLIES

Re: Saving preferences and options in ST8

Typically "options.xml".

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Options.xml doesn't seem to hold the answers in this case. It's funny I can turn off the YouTube stuff from there but not the Facebook stuff.

Painful,

Leonard

[ Edited ]

As for options.xml I wasn't referring to the user assistance dock, I was referring to your question about templates and such.

Options.xml basically controls most of the settings in the file locations tab of the solid edge options.

If the user assistance docking window is your main concern then I misunderstood and I can't help. I never really care what's in it as we basically never use it.

Bruce Shand

Hi Ilane,

for templates defined at Startup screen you shoud use the file "NewFileDefaultList.xml" located at folder %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 108\

If you copy the "NewFileDefaultList.xml" file to other machines, your templates shoud be already set at startup screen. However this is not "official" solution, but it should work.

Ota

Biggest gripe for me when setting up new users is having to manually set the Default Templates for every user using Solid Edge Options > Helpers > Default templates.

If you don't do this SE will use its own installed templates when converting files into SE instead of your own customised templates.

Been a while since I set up a new user but I think you also have to set the creation options list with Solid Edge Options > Helpers > Edit Creation Options.

This defines the the list of templates you get at the startup screen or File > New

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Here's what i do for new machines. I go to the machine that's all set up. i go to the registry and export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sofware\Unigraphics Solutions to a network spot. I then go to the other computer and migrate the the file double click it. Now all the setting will be applied to that machine.

I did hear some where that in ST9 this should have this ability

@beachcomber, Good point. This is yet another example of SE settings being scattered hither and yon.

@TDB, That's a neat trick if it's comprehensive and takes care of all default and custom settings including SE Options/file locations tab, helpers and such.

Bruce Shand

Using the registry key is fine provided you don't apply it to a different user.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Isn't that what @TDB was suggesting?

Bruce Shand