Saving user defined settings in ST7

Creator
Creator

My company is currently upgrading from ST5 to ST7 and we would like to have Solidedge open to each user with specific options (relationship colors, base refernece plans and ordered) turned on. Is there a way to achieve this? I have tested setting the ANSI inch part template to the desired setting and saving it, then when we install and open ST7 on other workcenter and replace the original ANSI inch part with the modified template is reverted back to the default settings.It seems like Siemens doesn't make it very easy for users to save user defined settings.  Any help would be greatly appreicated.

12 REPLIES

Re: Saving user defined settings in ST7

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

lots of stuff get's transferred automatically and someone stuff don't. I generally set  up 1 computer than transfer stuff over like register stuff. There's some how you can transfer colors also. but i generally don't do that. i let they guys do it....it's funner...Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would put your templates (.asm, .par, .psm, .wld, .dft) on a server location and point to that location in everyone's SE File Locations under "User templates".

I'm not sure what you mean by "the modified template is reverted back to the default settings". Sounds like you think you're referencing the modified template but in fact are pointing to a different one. Check your file location settings in SE options under the application button. The template locations and more can be controlled via an options.xml file which should also be on a server and pointed to by individual SE installs.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

placing templates on a server location creates lag times.

We copy the relevant files from the old version, and then copy then to the new version.

Besides templates, there are also ribbon settings, BOM settings, and Material files.

It would be nice if Solid Edge came up with a better way to transition, or if they provided a ?map" of what files to copy when migrating.

bshand wrote:

I would put your templates (.asm, .par, .psm, .wld, .dft) on a server location and point to that location in everyone's SE File Locations under "User templates".

Greg Patchel
Win 7 SP4 64 Bit
HP Z400 ST7 MP4
16GB RAM 3.2GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

There are two kinds of people, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"placing templates on a server location creates lag times."

Not at all in my experience except for a brief while in ST7 until fixed with MP4. Unless you have server problems. It only grabs a template, which are very small files anyway, once when you first create the file. Having them central makes them easier to control and distribute than keeping them up to date on each machine. The same can be said for other settings.

Ribbon settings are in each user's appdata folder and are usually not affected but are easy to save and restore if you know where they are. C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 107\Customization\usernamefolder

BOM styles are set in the draft template so that's easy if you also happen to know that those style settings are stored in draftlist.txt and that that file resides (by default, but not necessarily) in ...\templates\reports\draftlist.txt.

So yeah, it's kind of a mess. I agree that various settings, including the two just mentioned, and styles are scattered and should be more managable and that SE should better inform the user about what might get changed and where the relevant files are located.

Here's a list I created for my own sanity: (specific locations (the ...) for these files can vary but the last folder or two are typical)

Custom hole settings, view scales, etc. are saved in ...\preferences\custom.xml
Custom BOM styles are saved in ...templates\reports\draftlist.txt
Custom callouts are in ...\templates\reports\draftcallout.txt
Custom weld symbols are in ...\templates\reports\draftweld.txt
Surface texture and feature controls don't seem savable for some reason even though they each have a save settings feature in their dialogs just like the other callouts.

Materials are in ...\preferences\materials.mtl.

Global settings for SE to find most of these things via the file locations in SE options reside in \preferences\options.xml.

It would be nice if all of these were at least in one folder if not in just one file.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

"It would be nice if all of these were at least in one folder if not in just one file."

Yes indeed. Software Developers as a bunch seem to think everyone loves playing computer geek all day long. They value the wrong things, and since in their minds "it can done", they feel their job is complete. It would take them maybe an hour to make a batch program to automate these little details.  The problem is they feel it's not that hard to do.... well yeah, no argument there. But why does a user have to remember all these pesky things?

Bob

Phenom
Phenom

I'm just setting things up for rolling out ST7.

All files that need to be centrally managed go in a templates folder (or sub-folder) on the server  - Material Table, Hole Tables (including our own pre-defined holes), Tolerance Tables etc.

We then use the Solid Edge Admin utility to set up the Options.xml file to point to all those files and set locations for log files, user templates, reports etc.

When a user starts Solid Edge for the first time the first thing we do is go to File Locations and set the Solid Edge Admin file to point to the Options.xml file.

This then sets all the required file locations and, more importantly, prevents the user changing any settings that shouldn't be changed.

We also have a standard customisation settings folder on the server, containing basic menu customisation - added tabs for macro's, an enhanced QAT etc.

For new users this is copied to their local folder to give them a start and access to our macros.

For existing users they can just have Solid Edge use their previous settings when we upgrade, so that they get any personal menu customisations they've made.

The one thing it did take us a while to figure out is that even if you create your own Options.xml file it is automatically copied (or all the settings are copied) to the local Options.xml in the Preferences folder on first use.

I've also written a macro that enables a step-by-step installation procedure.

For this macro there is a text file that contains all the data for usernames, path for application install file, path for MP install file, path to customisation folder, new file defaults list. We also set an Environment variable for pointing our drawing border macro to the correct template files. As each step is completed a check mark appears next to that step on the main form.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds really good. I'm sure you know this but you can point to whatever options.xml when installing SE although I've found that sometimes it doesn't stick and you have to apply it in options anyway.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

I hadn't noticed that - I assume it's at the same point where you can define the license file.

We find it so quick now we have the aututomated check list, and never (well, hardly ever) forget a setting.

We also have a customised license file - we have about 15 users but only 3 of the licenses are Premium for XPressRoute. A normal license contains both Premium and Classic, but you always get Premium by default. So, the first 3 users always got Premium and had to keep closing SE to let others use them. What we now do is split them into Premium only and Classic only license information, then use a macro to copy the required license from the server before starting Solid Edge. Its rare for all three Premiums to be in use so you just need to close SE yourself and then get the required license.

We encourage users to revert back to Classic when finished with the Premium.

Perhaps a good enhancement for the developers would be to make accessing the Premium functions automatic when you start the commands - click XpressRoute and off it goes and checks licenses are available, close XPressRoute and it frees the license again. 

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That is indeed where it is. Your operation is more sophisticated. I pretty much just control stuff via SE Admin and server located settings folders and files. Sounds like, like us, you are running node-locked?

Are you managed via Insight, Teamcenter or something or just plain vanilla?

Bruce Shand