Scaling Section Views

There is a bit of a confusing problem with scaling section views in Draft.

1. Place a drawing view
  2. From this view create a section view
  3. Break alignment of section view & change scale
  4. On the section view place a new section line
  5. The scale value for the section view is no longer available (greyed out)
  6. From the new section line create the section view
  7. The scale value for this view and its parent is unavailable
  8. Break the alignment between this view and its parent
  9. Scale value is now available for both
  10. If the alignment is now maintained again the scale value for both becomes unavailable.

It now becomes a bit of a task to return the last section view to the same scale and aligned with its parent. If you just RMB on the view and select Maintain Alignment the parent view scale and alignment are changed (along with any other sections). You first have to change the section view scale back to the same scale as its parent.

Surely this can't be correct - the child view alignment should be maintained relative to its parent, not the other way round.

We are using ST7 MP5, but this was the same on ST6.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.
8 REPLIES

Re: Scaling Section Views

unless i'm mis reading your post. you can't change the scale of a section view. it's what's ever the primary view scale is before breaking alignment

i stand corrected. once i loaded MP5 i could scale the view..interesting. anyways, i was able to display the section view scale. i just turned on "Show View Scale"

[ Edited ]

The problem is not displaying the view scale, its changing the scale of a section view that has another section line on it - ie. changing the view scale when you have a section of a section.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

I'm not 100% positive but as I recall a section of a section is not support by ANSI Drafting standards. I know people use it all the time. I used to use it for detailing stiffening ribs on formed sheet metal parts for the auto industry a looong time ago (like 3D wireframe days).

Since you are talking about a section of section you are building a parent child relationship between the views. The parent view will control the scale.

As an alternative you could possibly create a detail view of the area you want to cut and then do a section of that area. You might be able to control the scale then? Just an idea.

beachcomber wrote:

The problem is not displaying the view scale, its changing the scale of a section view that has another section line on it - ie. changing the view scale when you have a section of a section.

This all seems to work correctly to my mind. I use this on quite a few of my drafts.

Once a section view has a dependant section placed on it, it then has those limitations you describe, which are present in a single [primary] section control also.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Once the section view has another section line placed on it I should still be able to change it's scale, and if the child section has 'maintain alignment' on then that should also change.

If maintain alignment is off, then there will be no change to the child view (as functions now)

I should not have to break that alignment, change the scale of both, then re-align them.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

I agree, the work around for no scale on sections sucks.

The reason details and sections are used it to show more detail implying a different scale. Whoever decided sections can't be scaled does not do any real drafting work.

[ Edited ]

I don't see the difficulty here. You don't need to break alignment, you just turn off and on "maintain alignment". When you elect to turn alignment back on the views take on the scale of the one selected. If you want to reestablish the parent view scale then select that view. If you want to change the parent view scale to a child view scale then select the child view. What's the point of turning on alignment again if you want to maintain different scales?

I've used SE for modeling and drafting for years and can't say I've ever run across this "problem" which in my view isn't one.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200