Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan Data into Solid Edge

Looking for some tips/suggestions on using 3D Scan Data into Solid Edge.

Our scanner (hardware) works native with Autodesk Recap 360 Pro, via a Wi-Fi interface with an IPad.

This software is then able to export:

*.E57

*.PTS

*.PCG

*.RCP

*.RCS

It appears that if you were in the AutoDesk "ÉcoSystem", then it would continue to translate through their various packages.

Apart from an old version of ACad we have for translating 3d DWG files, we don't really have AutoCad.

I presume that "Siemens" has a similar suite of products/functionality, but i am unable to find out where to go.

Any input would be appreciated.

David

David Finlay
9 REPLIES

Re: Scan Data into Solid Edge

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
We're in a similar position. At the moment in order to bring anything into SE I'm using the mesh function in ReCAP Pro and then exporting as an STL. We then at least have a dumb mesh we can bring into SE, I'm using ST8 so none of the advantages we now have in ST10.

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Siemens does have point cloud software that was once called imageware. It is now an add on to the NX series. I would expect they are in process of porting that over to SE but will be years before it's really useful to segment pont clouds and automatically convert point cloud segments into primitives, nurbs, extruded shapes, and polygons. Imageware was the grandfather of point cloud processing and is still the only software that can create a nurb by projecting a nurb into a cloud.

I am not sure how you are able to export the STL?

Have been watching this movie, and it seems to easily drop into Inventor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB5uWSNrQQY

David Finlay

Hi,

Can you please provide some information on how you are able to export the STL file?

I have found options for OBJ and RCM (?) , neither of which seem to be easy to convert to STL.

Perhaps i could convert through Rhino CAD?

David

David Finlay

I'm still struggling to find a simple solution.

I have this scanner, a BLK360, which is producing fantastic data, but am having real troubles finding any practical way of using the scan information in Solid Edge.

It seems to be able to load easily into Inventor.

There is also a addin for SolidWorks that allows import aswell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgsY1S6b6JY

There must be a way?

As for an outcome, the main thing i am looking to acheive, is some kind of 'ghost' that can be seen in a 3D environment, in order that i can use as reference in design.

I have also looked at 3rd party software like Geomagic and CloudCompare, but have not yet found an easy methodology.

Ideas?

David

David Finlay

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @trangimagineering,

Solid Edge does not have the functionality to import a point cloud and process it into geometry like you've shown in the Solid Works video. You will have to use 3rd party software to generate mesh data from the raw scan points.

Once you have that in .stl, .stp or other format that SE can handle, you can import it into a part.

Where SE ST10 is significantly better than Works and Inventor, is that you can use the mesh geometry nativly and do e.g. cuts, procedural holes etc. on it as if it was traditional solid geometry. There are also tools that help you convert from mesh surfaces to B-rep surfaces. But as I mentioned above, you'll need separate software to produce the mesh to import.

Thanks Alex for your comment.

I certainly appreciate that SE does not have this capability, nor am i advocating that it is a features that should be added.

Really what i am looking for is some kind of 'workflow' that is either endorsed/supported by SE.

The use of a 3rd party software is OK, i just dont know what to look for?

I had expected that perhaps there were many SE users that may have been dealing with scan data, and may have been able to reccomment a 3rd party software, or a translation methodology.

David

David Finlay

Phenom
Phenom

Hi David, sorry I don't have much experience in these software packages. I guess the 'official' Simens way would be the NX plugin that is menioned above, but in my opinion you're doing the right thing looking around at the likes of Geomagic and CloudCompare. I'd just ask for trials and see which works best for your types of data and imports well into Solid Edge.

Othe than that, maybe someone else here can recommend other 3rd party software to try?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello David,

please check ScanToCAD solution from CADPartner.

It is a 3rd party app capable to convert scanned data to Solid Edge. More details here:

http://www.smap3d.com/Piping/en/scantocad-3d.html

Ota