Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search for Document Number in ST10 shows worng results

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edgers,

as already have seen it with ST9 this issue seems to be the same with ST10.

Imagine You have a couple of SE files with Document Numbers:

A-0001

A-0002

A-0011

A-0012

A-0021

A-0022

and so on

A search for Document Number contains "*1" - what IMHO should be a search for all documents ending with 1 will not bring any results.

IMHO every document info with "0" (zero) will be missinterpreted

A search for Document NUmber contains "*0001" will show the one or others with same edning of 4 numbers

20170822_0854.PNG20170822_0855.PNG

regards
Wolfgang
21 REPLIES

Re: Search for Document Number in ST10 shows worng results

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This all sounds reasonable to me.  I've got a couple people looking into this, comparing Solid Edge search to Windows Search.  Can you get us a IR/PR on this please?

Laura

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It may be Windows Search.  I've had bewildering results using the search in Windows File Explorer too...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @LauraWatson

Hi @KennyG

I think there is a central problem with Solid Edge search.

See following pictures to understand what my suppose will be:

Info: ALL searches were done from Windows Explorer from the same start directory!

Let's begin with searching for the Document Number

20170825_1636.PNG20170825_1637.PNG

A search for "5" brings a set of resulting files, and take care, there are also 2 in the list with "*57"

A search for "7" results in an empty list and the info "Nothing found"

As I have seen with the search witih Solid Edge (open Document) the "0" in the Document Numbers seems to be ignored somehow. And the search only begins after those zeros.

Let's go and let us search now in the "Title" field

20170825_1638.PNG

20170825_1638b.PNG

When doing a search for "*male" I would assume that also all "female" hits would be found

But look onto the picture, those are not listet in the results.

Here You need to do an extra search for "female"

Again, for me it looks like the SE index search (or maybe the Windows search or how else is responsible for that) only does a search beginning with a new word.

You can reproduce the same behaviour when searching for a text which is within the filed but is a single word.

Also I think every wild card character ("*") is useless here, the search always works with an "Contains" statement

If I know, to go back to the first example searching for Document Number, that there are two "0" before my doc number ("57") and I search fore that 0057, the result list will bring the proper results.

If anybody wants that SE users can and will trust in trhe search results, and that we will use this IMHO good feature, then it asap should be modified and repaired to do the job we expected it to do for us!

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @LauraWatson

I already talked to GTAC a year ago when ST9 was released, and I found that issue in connection with Fast Search.

Since that the problem is there, as well as the issue with the SEPropertyHandler.dll

But if it will help, I will create another IR/PR hoping that then this issue will be past!

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad@LauraWatson  The search issue may be affected by the minus sign ( - ).  It is used by Windows Search syntax to exclude anything with the string that follows it from results.  I wonder if the code in SE is somehow getting tangled in it and sending it to WS and thus not getting back results?

Ken

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @KennyG

just did another test with document number withut any "-" sign in it and the behaviour is exactly the same as before.

If there are "0" in the number then it gets grazy!

20170825_1737.PNG20170825_1738.PNG

You have to enter all leading zeros to get a proper result!

PS.: there are other file with an document number "00000002" in the same folder which are not shown anyway when searching for "*2"

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad  Seeing the same here with Windows File Explorer.  Try using a double tilde ( ~~ ) as a wildcard in front of the number in Windows Explorer.  Seems to work then.  Still doesn't seem to work in SE Search though...

Ken

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So what I could gather about Windows Search from a little internet research is that numbers are searched from beginning to end even if using a * or ? as a wildcard.  The only thing I have found to work is the double tilde, and only in File Explorer.

Ken

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Also just found this in SE Help:

SourceURL:https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_helpSiemens Documentation: Search Criteria List

• The property Document Number is of type string and not numeric, therefore a search based on numeric value may not return the results you expect.

Ken