Seeking improvements to a process

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Attached is a vid of what I call the perametric box. Using planes to control the model size. This is not the question just a context. The question is how to decrease the work it takes to set up the bend tables I have created that include back gage and stick out.

Right now I have to do the following steps to set it up. (all within the draft file)

1. After drafting, I add (outside the boarder) flat patterns that are dim'ed to the bend lines from the appropriate place (can of worm to is self).

2. I link in the bend radius and Material thickness from each part.

3. Perform math using dimensions and linked T's and R's.

4. Create an annotation to display variables resulting from the math in step 3.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

I was hoping to improve the process by performing the math for back gages and stick outs within each model file, eliminating the need to do math in every draft file. the problem is there is not way to display variable from model files directly in draft. Each variable would need to be linked. This solution is about a push. It eliminates the math in each draft file, but adds many links to each draft file.

Any sugestions to decrease the time it takes to make a bend table?

12 REPLIES

Re: Seeking improvements to a process

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Your video seems to be unavailable.  Any way of posting again to get a better feel for your workflow?

When you say, " the problem is there is not way to display variable from model files directly in draft", what exactly do you mean?  As long as the variables are "Exposed" in the Variable Table, they are available for you to reference in Draft.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

When you say, " the problem is there is not way to display variable from model files directly in draft", what exactly do you mean?  As long as the variables are "Exposed" in the Variable Table, they are available for you to reference in Draft.

ok, Then tell me how to display a variable directly from a model file into a draft file. Let's say I have a variables X, Y, Z in a sheet metal part. How do I display them directly in a draft file without first linking that variable into the draft file.

As far as the vid goes. It appears I can't display any vid's that demonstrate working my planes. Every single one I have posted can't be viewed. If I ever get the time I will start a you tube account just so I can post here.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

http://youtu.be/zX6xqdONO7w

Can any see the attached vid? I created a Youtube and Google account just so I could post here. Once I know this works, I will make a much better one.

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

12GAGE,

In the Variable Table of the 3D model file(s), there is an "Exposed" column with checkboxes.  Any variable you would like to have access to for Draft Callouts, Parts List, etc needs to be exposed (checked).  These variables/properties are then seen in available properties in the Draft.  There is no need to "link" the variables between the model and the draft.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Not true.

Goal: Display (in draft annotation) custom variable from assembly drivin sheet metal part.

The assembly being drafting contains many assembly driven sheet metal parts. I would like each parts bedn radius and thickness in the draft file. To do this, I link in each parts bend radius and thickness. Please tell me how to get that information available for variable in the draft document without liknking them in.

Let's say there is a solution to the above (I don't think there is). Now I want to do the same with many custom variable for each sheet metal part.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

How are you bringing them in?  For instance, if using the Parts List function, you can specify the custom exposed variables and it will list them for each part in the list.  If using a callout, you would need to use the option of From graphic connection to Part.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That's one of the problems. Custom variables don't appear on the list under "Graphic connection to part". The only way to get a custom variable from a part file to show up in assembly draft is to link the variable into the draft file.

it appears I need a now category: Variable from part file. (sheet metal in my case)

For that matter, I can't even get the item under to show up in annotation. But that can be worked around using the bubble call outs.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think you need to type in the name of your custom property in the field at the Property Test form.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I tried that by your suggestion. No Go. The variable name just shows up as text in the annotation.

To my understand I must pick the variable from the list under the catagory.

Note: Catagory=From active doc, From graphic connection to part, etc....

List = indevidual properties available under the catagory.

If there is a way around this, I really want to know.

To directly answer one of your questions: I'm using annotation.

To me there is only a few ways to bring variables into draft:

Annotation

Item call outs

BOM table

Bend table

Hole table

Gineric table

In this case, I'm trying to use annotation. I would prefer it to be a table of some kind, but there is no way to have each cell diferent within a table that automatically update. All of the tables are column controlled (or row if you prefer), not cell controlled. In my case, I need diferent variables in each cell within a column.