Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select by file type only?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If I window select an assembly or group of assemblies with the intention of deleting them I can't because it also selects the parts and gives me an error upon hitting the delete key. Is there any way to filter a window selection to only include .asm file types? Or any set of types? If not, there should be IMO.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
12 REPLIES

Re: Select by file type only?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

QuickPick... in the graphics window one at a time.

I bet you knew that but I wanted to be sure.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Yeah, but I want to pick several assemblies at once. Ideally, for speed, via window select. Not by fishing through dialogs or the pathfinder.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand

Yes, this would be a great enhancement, as well as the possibility of selecting ASM features in the graphics area.

At the moment ASM features only can be selected from pathfinder which is a very troublesome method IMHO

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not sure about the Window selection filter but maybe create a Query where "Name" contains ".asm".  Executing it will highlight all your assemblies and then you can deselect the ones you want to keep.  Just a thought.  Might be a better way...

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

@grayson,

That's a little better if there's commonality in the names but it's still pretty much just fishing. I have to hunt and exclude by mental filters. If I can see on the screen what I want to delete and I can window it and be done THAT'S the better way.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom

Bruce,

I don't think this is exactly what you want, but it is close. If you select the 'Active document only' option in the Selection Filter dialog, it will then locate only objects in the active document:

select.png

This will then prevent locating any parts/subassemblies below the active level. The only problem is, it will still pick up parts if they are not contained in subassemblies, so it's not a true part vs. assembly locate filter.

Greg

@GregLuckett, I don't follow how that would help. It's for in place activated, right?

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom

@bshand, no it's for top level as well. It's just a filter to say only locate things in the active level document, either top level or IPA. Basically, don't locate anything lower than this level... Since the subassemblies are at the active level, it would locate them and stop there without going any lower.

Greg

Just tried it. That's not what I'm seeing.

And help seems to indicate the opposite.

Just tried it again and it's only selecting parts in the top level and inside assemblies but not assemblies. WTF?

Bruce Shand