Selectable arrow key angle increment

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Anybody else ever wish you could change the angle that the arrow keys rotate a view?

(Development: SolidWorks has had this for years)

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
5 REPLIES

Re: Selectable arrow key angle increment

Phenom
Phenom

Not only because some other software has/had this, additionaly I would like to have Shift+Arrow keys for zooming and say Alt+Arrow keys for panning - would be great.

~Tushar

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Tushar wrote:

Not only because some other software has/had this, additionaly I would like to have Shift+Arrow keys for zooming and say Alt+Arrow keys for panning - would be great.

~Tushar

Tushar,

This is already possible - Ctrl+Arrow keys zooms in or out and Ctrl+Shift+Arrow keys pans the view.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks for the information Greg. Yes, that works great in the Draft environment too.

However, I noticed with SE ST 6, in the Part environment, Ctrl+Down Arrow key zooms out the view but Ctrl+Up Arrow key does not zoom in. I am not sure if it is happening on just my computer. I will check it on another workstation before confirming. Anyone else seeing this behavior ?

Similarly Ctrl+Shift+Down arrow pans the model down but Ctrl+Shift+Up does not pan it up.

~Tushar

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I tried it in ST6 and noticed the different behavior too, Tushar. The reason is that there are keyboard accelerators assigned to those key combinations by default. If you right-click on the ribbon and choose 'Customize the Ribbon', you can get the desired behavior by doing the following when the Customize dialog appears:

• Select the environment you wish to modify (assembly and the part environments appear to be the ones that contain the default keyboard assignments)
  • Switch to the Keyboard tab
  • Select 'All Keyboard Assignments' in the 'Choose commands from:' dropdown list
  • Set the Modifier to 'None' for each of the following commands: Fit, Perspective, Rotate, Rotate Positive X, Rotate Positive Y and Rotate Positive Z
  • Close the Customize dialog and choose yes when asked if you want to save the changes to a new theme and name your theme

There was a PR logged that was fixed in ST7 that removes these default keyboard assignments so that the arrow keys work as described.

Greg

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks for the workaround Greg. I had to reset all keyboard shortcuts that used any of the arrow keys to get this behavior. So it seems to be an overlap of KB assignments.

I must now set the focus back to the original question from bshand:

'Anybody else ever wish you could change the angle that the arrow keys rotate a view'

~Tushar