Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selected and unselected part cutting in "Section"

Genius
Genius

Hi all,

I a bit confused regarding the meaning of selected and unselected in cutting away a volume using PMI/Section. In my video with PMI/Section I first define a volume (defining a rectangle and extruding it) and afterwards say Cut only selected parts and also try Cut only unselected parts.

(view in My Videos)

To my surprise Cut only selected parts does not remove anything while Cut only unselected parts removes the volume I had defined. Can anybody explain the idea of discriminating by these names to me? Why removes unselected parts the volume I had defined? I had expected just the opposite.

And a second point:

Creating the initial 2D geometry in the step after choosing the plane, I'm always succesfull if I use rectangle in the Home/Draw menu, but get an error message, if I use Line also creating a closed rectangle. For each line segment I get the error message Disconnected elements - connected elements ore close individual profiles and finally Multiple open profiles drawn. Only open profile or mutlitple closed profiles allowed. It sounds to me, like my 4 lines were not connected to eachother, but may be something different is meant? How do I correct this?

best regards

Hans

6 REPLIES

Betreff: Selected and unselected part cutting in "Section"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

You have not selected any part during Your operation.

So therefore no cut can be created.

On the other hand if no part is selected, and You say "Only cut unselected" will mean all parts will be cutted.

But why do You not use "Cut All Parts"?

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi Wolfgang,

ah that's a different way of thinking about this :-). Yes it's true, I assumed using the Section command would mean I had also selected the section, but that's a stupid idea of mine. OK, but now arises the question, how can I select a section? Mouse action does not allow me to select Section1A from the PathFinder with this typical prohibitory sign on the screen (see below). That was probably the reason, why I thought it already was selected.

se31.jpg

OK and do You also have a comment on the second question regarding the unconnected lines (or whatever is the cause)? I include a copy of the error message below.

se30.jpg

best regards

Hans

Genius
Genius

Hi

Ah by accident I found the answer to my first question myself: The meaning of part ist the original part, which was inserted from the separate part-file into the assembly-file, not the body which I had defined to be cut away.   (It's strange, how sometimes the answer is such obvious, if one just knows the answer :-), but is hidden if one assumes it somewhere else.)

But still the second question is left. Comments how to heal that are welcome.

best regards

Hans

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

this IMHO indicates that Your section profile does not fullfill all rules.

I suppose that there are multiple not regular connected elements (lines) multiple profiles etc.

My advice here, delete them all, draw a single rectangle and thats it.

But by the way, You are allways talking about a cut body, and so on.

You are aware about that this PMI sections are only for viewing and draft.

They do not change any part.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi Wolfgang,

I guess initially You are answering regarding the error message: This was generated if I use multiple lines in the 2D Draw menu - it does not occur if I use rectangle for drawing. My first idea is, that for some reason maybe they are not connected. Is there something I have to observe while drawing lines to get a connected 2D geometry and how I can check this?

Regarding Your last sentences: Yes I'm aware, thats it's only cutting away for having an unobstructed view to some internal geometry and it's not changing the geometry.

best regards

Hans

Phenom
Phenom

@Hans11

You need to have Maintain Relationships on if drawing individual elements for you profile, otherwise they will not be connected at the end points.

If the ends are connected you will see connect relationships (sqaure box) at the connected corners, as you can with your rectangle.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.