Selection box

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Here is another basic task that's causing me issues.  Based on what I have read, drawing a box from left to right should select lines inside or crossing the box (opposite of SolidWorks?).  A box from right to left should only select lines completely inside the box.

No matter what I do, I cannot select lines that cross the box. I have tried going left to right and right to left.  The only time it selects the line is when they are completely within the selection box.

11 REPLIES

Re: Selection box

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

As fas as I can remember, it has always been...Left to Right = "Inside", and Right to Left = "Crossing" for fence select.

(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It's probably a typo in my book (Solid Edge ST7: Basics and Beyond), but neither direction works for me.  Thank you for the video.  I notied your selection box changes color depending on where you start.  My selection box does not change colors.  I have a feeling there is a setting that needs to be changed for the selection box to work propery.  Hopefully you or someone else can point me in the right direction.

I tried to upload my own video, but the system doesn't let me.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm, not sure why the behaivior is different for your system....but maybe take a look in the SE Options, while in an active design environment, an go to the Colors tab, look for the 2D Selection Fence settings there...., and I'll keep looking, but It's possible it could be a graphics glitch too.

ST8_PAR_SolidEdgeOptions_Colors_SelectionFence.PNG

Sean Cresswell

Phenom
Phenom

The Command bar is not visible in your screenshots.

When the Fence Filter is set to Overlapping, it will pick the lines which are only partially enclosed irrespective of the direction of the box:

osel.png

In your case it seems to be set to inside, hence the behavior:

osel2.png

Here's an article that would also appear in the recommendations list near the bottom of this page related to selection.

~Tushar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, of course @Tushar, you may have nailed it....not sure why I overlooked that. (hiding in plain sight again) Man Embarassed

Mine is set to the default Directional Fence setting, but an inadvertant scroll wheel move while the cursor was over it will alter the selection. Maybe that is how this changed.

Sean Cresswell

Phenom
Phenom

Ah... @SeanCresswell and I was pondering over this all the time after posting, as to how SPXAli would have got the filter to set un-knowingly to something other than Directional Fence - a scroll over the filter list seems to be the culprit Man Surprised

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

i do not beleive directional fences worked liek this until ST5 if memory serves me correclty...

So if OP is on older version he may not have this functionality at all, which seem supported based on his comment that he does not note color difference based on select direction.?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Other than hitting ESC, do I need to click on any buttons before drawing my box?  The select arrow is highlighted, but when I draw my box, there is no command bar.  When I'm drawing my sktech, the command bar does show up.

I'm running ST7.

directional fence appears to only work in draft and ORDERED sketches.

NOT in Sync.