Server versus NAS

Legend
Legend

Anyone out there who could explain how Solid Edge performs when the files are store on a NAS.

We need a server to handle all the database oriented stuff, oulook, etc.  but for data storage a NAS could be attached.. via a gigabit connection..

Just curious.. how this performs

Kind Regards,

Jan Bos

9 REPLIES

Re: Server versus NAS

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Tons of different products and providers in this market.  I would expect that they would do really well as that is their only purpose, HOWEVER they cannot be indexed by Windows Search so the new functionality in ST9 that Matt mentioned in a BLOG Post (Built In Data Management) will not work with files on a NAS... It must be a Windows Fie Server to work.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Legend
Legend

I'm beta testing ST9 and I have tested the "fast search" and "Fast where used" but our server is old and has a 32 bit OS.. looking for an upgrade the Questio "why not an NAS" came up...

According to new information from Huntsville 

"the Fast Search requires functionality built in to the Windows OS, the NAS would have to have Windows OS (there are a few, like Dell’s)"

Is there anyone out there who has experiende with NAS and Windows based OS  ? and could share some info, like cost en speed compared to servers..

Jan Bos

Production:  ST8 MP8

Beta testing ST9

Phenom
Phenom

@Jan_Bos I'm not an expert on network hardware, but I think when they say "NAS with Windows OS", they just mean what I would call a Windows Server file server, so to answer your question about speed compared to a server; it is a server.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If I understand correctly then you are considering a NAS alongside a windows based server.  In that case then providing you map the drives on the NAS within the Windows OS wouldn't they be indexed and usable with the new ST9 data management capabilities?  

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP9

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Indexing only works on physically attached drives.

Phenom
Phenom

I'm trying to follow

NAS= network attache storage right?

Does a USB3 removable hard disk fall into the NAS category?

If a conditional yes is the response (Must have a file table mapped)

Then I think the question really is: How does this integrate into any file management software.

Let's say everything works. Then what is the performance hit between file on a netowrk and files attached to the network using USB drives.

Siemens Phenom

NAS = Network-attached storage.  A NAS device is essentially a file server – a computer with a network interface, an operating system, and access to hard disks without the overhead of a traditional file server.  A NAS is designed to only do one thing - serve up storage.

A USB removable disk is not NAS but is merely an external removable disk drive that has to be plugged into another deivce e.g. computer through the USB interface in order to be accessible.  Some devices e.g. home routers will allow you to plug in a USB drive and then serve that USB drive as "NAS" storage but the USB drive itself is not NAS.  A USB removable disk is simply that - a removable disk.  

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

We currently use a NAS,  a Synology box that is fitted with SSD drives,

this offers the quickest file access we could find reasonably cheaply.

The Synology box is connected with quad gigabit connection and easily allows full gigabit speeds to the few CAD users we have.

When writting a single large file the read and write speeds are very high >110Mb/sec

although due the the way SE uses lots! of small files the actual speeds are much less ~40 - 50 Mb/sec for directory access.

we are conected to the same switch as the NAS to remove network bottlenecks.

The key for us was the access speed, using this is close to running local stored files.

The synology box also runs a small database allowing us to run a custom indexing app.

Prior to this we tried the server route, but as it hidden away in the server room and utilised some old hardware IT had found lurking behind the door it was painfully slow to use.

I am not sure how this is going to work with the new functions of ST9 we will see. 

HTH

Kevin

Siemens Phenom

The new built-in data management functionality of ST9 uses the Windows indexing provided by the Windows Search Service. Therefore, in order to use ST9 built-in data management you must have Windows Search services running on the physical machine that is storing the Solid Edge files to be indexed.

This requirement to have the files physically located on the machine that is performing the indexing is a Windows Search requirement --- Windows Search does not allow you to index files stored on a network. However Windows Search does allow you to access the indexes of other machines across the network. Hence, this is why if you have a file server with your Solid Edge files stored on the file server being accessed across the network, you must have Windows Search Services running on the file server. Your Solid Edge client will then point to and accesses the Windows Search Services index of the file server to return your results.

I hope this helps to clarify.