Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting decimal place precision on hole reference in dimension

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I'm placing a dimension for a tapped hole.  For the hole itself, I 'm using 3 decimal places for the diameter range.  When calling out the tap drill depth, I only want to use 2 decimal place precision.  The default for the reference seems to match whatever the dimension is.  Is there a way to accomplish this?  The same question applies to the depth of the threads as well.

Here's the dialoge box:

Hole reference.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
18 REPLIES

Re: Setting decimal place precision on hole reference in dimension

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kyle,

There is a way to individually specify number of decimal places. It's a little bit cumbersome, but works.

If you add "%{ in front of the hole size (%HD) and /@0} after, and replace the zero with the number of decimal places, then you get the desired result. This works for depth as well. see image.

example, for a 10mm hole - no decimal places then text string would be: %DI%{%HD/@0}

Hope this helps.

Matt Hunt IEng.MIED
Design Engineer
M-Flow Technologies

ST10 MP*
K2200

IIRC in ST7 we were added the FORMAT property text option that gives a GUI to the older %formats
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/110/se_help#uid:xid1129777:xid1325276:xid1325279:ind...Smiley Tongue

Select the related Ref Text Callout,  this should enable the [FORMAT] option which then gives a nicer GUI for these sort of mods. 

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/110/se_help#uid:xid1129777:xid1325276:xid1325279:ind...

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm always amazed when I see stuff like this. It's the year 2018, people have been dimensioning and tolerancing for many many decades, and we still have to jump through arcane mumbo jumbo to get a decent callout for a friggin hole. What happened to the GUI concept?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend
Easy UX / UI is hard to develop and requires the developer to understand how it will be used.

Honestly I prefer Autocads way of just having a properties dialog that can easily change one a few or all of something by simply selecting them.

PLM World Member Phenom

I must still be doing something wrong.  I tried formatting it for 2 decimal places and get a reference error.  You can see the error on the dimension next to the dialoge box.  And I agree, this is a very arcane way to accomplish a simple task.  SE needs to improve this.

Hole Depth.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Legend
Legend

Why are you using dimensions for holes instead of a callout so you can use feature callouts.

SE CALLOUT HOLE.PNG

PLM World Member Phenom

Dimensions seem to be more appropriate for detailing various features on a drawing.  Also, given the complexity of the codes required to detail a part, they are prone to syntax issues.  In a dimension dialogue box there are buttons to select that handle the codes.  Solid Edge needs a more direct way to change the decimal precision when detailing "compound" holes such as countersinks, counterbores, tapped holes etc.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

I submitted a PR.

Here is the IR - 9077539

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

nanan00 wrote:

Why are you using dimensions for holes instead of a callout so you can use feature callouts.

That doesn't address the need to dimension the hole's diameter at 3 places and the depth at 2 places. That's just a simple case. There may be cases where you want unilateral tolerances, etc., etc.

Can't do that with SE yet it wasn't uncommon on the old drafting board.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200