Shaded views in draft only show as lines when printed as PDF

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom
Hello, I have run into an issue when creating PDFs from draft files with shaded views. When printing to a printer, the shaded views come through just fine. When creating a PDF, I get non shaded views. I'm using ST5 MP10 and use Adobe Acrobat 8 standard for the PDFs. I also tried to create a file using the Volocity Printer for comparison but the file ends up being 68MB and won't even open using Adobe. A file created with the Adobe PDF driver is only 107KB. I didn't have this problem before. Is there some hidden setting in SE? I seem to recall one in the past. Kyle
Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
8 REPLIES

Re: Shaded views in draft only show as lines when printed as PDF

Phenom
Phenom

Kyle,

I have all kinds of issues printing SE drafts to PDF using Adobe Acrobat (X) for several versions. In versions previous to ST6 I was able to tweak the registry to get them to work, but in ST6 I have not been able to find a solution.

I have pretty much switched to using save as PDF in SE for drawings with shaded views. It is a PIA becasue I would normally batch print to PDF using acrobat.

Not a good answer, but you can use the save as PDF in SE to get the PDF's with shading.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kyle,

I use the Adobe [although Acrobat Pro v9] method also, and still get the best results this way.

ST5 had a big issue at one point, with PDF creation. Cant remember at what service pack it made a difference, one way/or the other.

Did you try the registry edit I posted in the BBS forum?....regarding creating the new DWORD reg key "STRETCHMASKBLT_VERSION", tweaking a value until best results were achieved, from 0,1, 2 ~ ~ 6, one at a time. [Restart SE at every reg change]

BTW,...no such issue so far in ST6, even with all views set to 300ppi on a 20 sheet draft, and it's still only 1.53MB PDF.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Sean,

I haven't tried your registry entry.  I may give that a shot since I'm still on ST5.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I just installed ST6 and MP5 and I'm still having issues with shaded views only coming out as lines when using Adobe version 8.  I may have to try the registry entry.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not good...hope the Reg Edit fixes it for you...as that is verging on crippling when trying to keep documentation consistent, with shaded views.

Sean Cresswell

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

The registry entry with a value of 0 solved the problem.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Adding this registry entry with value=0 worked for me as well. Thanks!

I tried 0 and it worked and then tried 1. The value of 1 produced a shaded image, but the time to create was significantly longer.  Somethig like 15 seconds to 4 minutes. 

Then I tried 2 and lost my shaded image so I returned to 0 and all seems to be well. Quality is good and speed is fine.

The larger question is simply: Why is this necessary?

Thanks again.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

rehenryjr wrote:

The larger question is simply: Why is this necessary?

...and a GREAT question too! I might also add, "Why is this still necessary in ST6", as IIRC this mod was applied back in ST4.

There must be some combination of hardware/software [incl. drivers] that messes with SE's matrix.

Sean Cresswell